Fast forward

Tusayan Travel Blog

At the edge of north rim

From Vegas we took of to Tusayan right away, taking shifts driving and sleeping... (Not something I can recommend) Since we arrived at night, we had a nice sunrise along the way. We originally planned to arrive the day before and have an afternoon and morning exploring some of the south rim. Now we had just a few hours, rushing from one lookout to another. Our hotel (Red Feather Lodge) was kind enough to let us use a room for an hour to refreshen a bit (around noon, so way too late for our reservation the night before) and let us store our suitcases while having a look at the Grand Canyon.

My advice: Plan at least two full days and make a trip down into the canyon. There's enough to see and the park entrance is for at least two days, so it doesn't cost anything extra. I believe our first stop was at Mather Lookout along the South Entrance Road (I took the photo's over there). Next, we turned around and went to East Rim Drive and stopped at some lookouts there. The best about the Grand Canyon is the fact you get another view around each corner. We couldn't spend much more time, because we also wanted to have a look at the Hoover Dam on the way back before dawn.

Grand Canyon, south rim