Flight

Los Angeles Travel Blog

If you've read any of my previous blogs, you'll have noticed that almost every trip I take involves a stop at Peet's Coffee before I leave. At the risk of sounding like a Peet's salesman (or Peet's addict), I reluctantly admit that this trip was no different. On the way to the airport, I got my usual vanilla latte, and all was right with the world.

My experience at LAX was a bit surreal. First of all, there were hardly any lines anywhere. It took me less than 5 minutes to check in my bags and get my boarding pass. The security line moved quickly and efficiently, and, in contrast to their usual demeanor, the TSA officials were smiling and actually seeming to enjoy their jobs and the inconvenient presence of the passengers around them. All in all, it only took me 20 minutes from airport drop-off to waiting in the lounge by my departing flight gate. What country was I in?

The flight from LAX to Phoenix was also quite pleasant. The Arizona State basketball team was also on the flight, returning home after the Pac-10 tournament. I sat between two of the players, who were both very friendly, and even convinced one of them to sign up for TravBuddy (Thanks, Shane!). In other basketball news, Cal upset UCLA. Go Bears!

One thing I remember thinking about on the flight over is how quiet people are on planes in the USA as compared to, say, passengers in Italy. The flight to Phoenix was blissfully quiet save the monotonous yet soothing drone of the engines, and I was able to get a good amount of sleep. Flights in Italy are a cacophony in comparison. Even during extremely early morning flights, when you'd think most sensible people would try to sleep, the cabin is dissonant concert of endless chatter, crying babies and RyanAir employees loudly hawking miscellaneous wares every 5 minutes. There is even thunderous applause whenever the plane successfully lands, which is kind of frightening if you think about the implications.

Anyway, I arrived in Phoenix, then caught a connecting flight to Austin...
fulifect says:
and don't you love it when the plane can be empty, but an italian will sit next to you anyway?! the cutest little boy kept me company on the way to sicily and would yell to his mom 3 rows down "mamma, ho fame!" :)
Posted on: Oct 30, 2007
jenn79 says:
Haha!! I love this review! *cheers with vanilla lattes*
Posted on: Mar 19, 2007
portia says:
alright, I want to see you in a travbuddy shirt!
Posted on: Mar 09, 2007