On the way to Pokhara and start of Trek.

Pokhara Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 8 › view all entries
We had an early start around 6:30am, as we needed to catch the bus to Pokhra at 7. There were only 2 buses in the parking lot and that too with just 4-5 foreign tourists in our bus, rest locals. The ride was ok as the roads were good, but we had to stop some 2-3 times for checking by the army personnel. All the locals had to get down and show their identity papers. For tourists the army men came in the bus and checked the passports/identity.
We stopped for lunch at a place just beside the river and the view was great.

We arrived at Pokhra around 2pm and at the bus stand were again surrounded by a dozen taxi, hotel, touts. But our hotels were booked in advance and they really seemed disappointed. We got a taxi and reached our hotel which is on the lakeside. After a quick shower we were off to the Fewa tal lake with some beer.
The evening view was amazing with the sun setting and the reflection in the water among the mountains. There are plenty of options for food near the lake side and you can pretty much get everything in this small town.

Next day again we had an early start to catch the early morning flight from Pokhra to Jomsum. Its a very small aircraft with 20 odd seats. The flight was of 20-25 mins among the valleys over the Kali Gandaki river, and it would take us 7 days overland to return back to Pokhra. The view of the snow peaked mountains was amazing from the flight and we enjoyed every second of the flight. Try to get a front seat in the aircraft to get an unrestricted view of the mountains.

After reaching the Jomsom airport started clicking photos immediately after alighting from the aircraft and finally the security person had to escort us out of the runway to the exit.
There was another round of checks by the army and we came out of the tiny airport. We had our breakfast at a small tea house and started our trek. On the first day we walked for around 5-6 hours and went from Jomsom to Marpha to Tuckhe.

The walk beside the river was amazing and the view of the mountains around us was simply breathtaking. It started getting windy after 11am and we had to walk slowly to avoid any muscle pain in the cold weather.  We stopped for lunch at Marpha, a small town between the mountains and on the bank of the river. Our next stop was Tuckhe where we rested for the night. Our first day of walking ended with attending to pulled muscles and heavy dinner. The evening sunset was magical among the mountains and valleys.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Makkattack