AsiaJapanHakone

Hakone and the arts

Hakone Travel Blog

an over looking the park

Woke up refreshed after a great sleep in the futon on the tatami mats and went up for breakfast, which was buffet style mixture of western and Japanese.At the breakfast table we worked out what we were going to see. We decided on first going to the Hakone open air art musuem which is a cool park with sculptures in it. We also decided on some other places that we ended up not going too.

After check out the hotel took us back to Yumoto Hakone in the shuttle bus and then we had to make our way to Chukokku no mori station, just near the area of Gora where we were yesterday. The train that goes there is very slow as it winds up the mountain. It also has to use switchbacks where it goes up the mountain then comes back down a little before going back up again.

The Hakone open air art musuem is directly outside of the station,we had initially planned to stay here around an hour but that soon changed as its such a great place for the whole family, basically its just a huge park with sculptures from the likes of Rodin, Moore, Bordelle and Despiau.

wow my hand is not as big as i thought
I had been to the Rodin Musuem in France so I knew I would like this place. The sculptures were all very interesting my favourite being the hand of god sculpture.

After walking around the park and my son having a ball in the kids section where they have sculptures that the kids can all play on we headed towards the Picasso pavillion this is an indoor exhibition with some of Picasso works in it. They showed a interesting piece of abull fight that each piece was connected from the start when the matador came to the end with them taking the dead bull away my son enjoyed looking at that. After walking around we could have a foot onsen where you dip your feet into a small hotspring.

We had lunch at the cafe at the place but I wouldn't recommend to eat there, food was very small and quite expensive, then did some souvenier shopping and before we knew it was already 2pm.

colourful diamonds
We had no time to go to any other places so it gives us a great excuse to go back again.  Caught the trains back to board our shinkansen at 4pm. We had enough time to grab a coffee from you guessed it Starbucks just before boarding. I stayed awake waiting to catch my last glimpse of Mount Fuji.

As the train passed Mount Fuji I thought to myself about the phrase they have in Japanese 'You are a fool if you have never climbed Mount Fuji but you are even a bigger full if you climb it more than once'. I thought I may be a fool now but this year I will a fool no more as I am determine to conquer this mountain sometime this year.

reikunboy says:
the Winter has been very mild this year around 10-13 degress today dropped down to 6 and tomorrow 5 degrees but this is for Kansai weather other area can be the same or much colder.
ary_tyas says:
so do not answer yanti question please ;-)) I will put Japan as the next holiday trip. Thank you for sharing :-))
ary_tyas says:
make me home sick for snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
an over looking the park
wow my hand is not as big as i tho…
wow my hand is not as big as i th…
colourful diamonds
The kids can climb all through the…
The kids can climb all through th…
A happy wife waiting for the train
A happy wife waiting for the train
the yolk is a trampoline
the yolk is a trampoline
A maze
A maze
Shes not as big side on
She's not as big side on
Hakone Sights & Attractions review
Hakone open air art musuem
The Hakone open air art musuem is a large outdoor musuem focussing on western and Japanese 19th and 20th century sculptures. Artists that are featured… read entire review