Summer at a Ski Resort

Seven Springs Travel Blog

getting geared up

I had to get up a little earlier than normal on a summer morning but luckily it wasn't too hard to be ready by the time Megan, Janie, and Sadie showed up in my driveway (although I did walk off without my cell phone).  We hopped on the turnpike, made one stop at a rest area, missed the first exit, backtracked, and arrived only a few minutes late for check-in.  Our appointment was for eleven and the other four members of our group (Jeannie, MaryAnn, Elisa, and Carol--sorry for any misspellings) were already waiting.

We got geared up with help from our two guides and a few other workers.  The equipment weighed between eight and ten pounds but I was more concerned with how one piece hung just low enough to hit against my leg with every step and our guide had told us that there was a half mile hike to our starting point.

a skit lift
  We had grinned to each other when the guide had laid out the physical side of today's adventure and mentioned the half mile hike; we are all runners and several of us have half-marathons or marathons under our belts.

We rode the ski lift up to the top of the mountain.  I was pleased to see that there was a bar to come down in front of us.  Falling from heights terrifies me but if there is a barrier--like a bar--my stress level goes way down.  We stepped down near a lake that normally is frozen when other group members have visited.  The hike to the start was not hard, and Adam--our male guide--had us skip the little training line.

I had a little trouble braking on the first of the ten lines but after that I was fine.

smile!
  Honestly, I was just happy not to grab the line like I did the first time I ever went ziplining.  Adam went first each time, then the eight of us with our order switching up, and finally Georgeanne.  The first three or four lines weren't very long, but as we got farther into the course, it got harder to clearly see the others waiting on the next platform.  We had two bridges to cross as well as one rappelling spot.  At the rappelling we didn't really do much, just let Adam guide us down.  The smallest one in the group, I hung at the top of this drop for a few seconds until Adam readjusted for the lower weight.  On the platform after the rappelling we had a water break before heading off across the first of the two bridges.
Janie on the line
  This one was a series of logs with spaces between each one that made me happy to be attached to an overhead line.  I did ask if anyone has slipped between the spaces and the answer was no which also made me happy.

Our first photo op (we had purchased the flash drive option) came not too long after the bridge.  I actually noticed the photographer on a previous line as he waited for us to reach him.  This line was long and we were zipping into a strong headwind.  Adam advised us--me especially--to tuck into the cannonball position for this line.  That position would give us more speed and the best chance of getting all the way to the other platform without needing to pull ourselves in by hand (and that could be several hundred feet if we didn't catch ourselves before sliding backwards).

Jeannie
  Adam also told us to lean to either the right or left when approaching the photographer to avoid getting the trolley line in the middle of our face in the photo.  We watched Elisa, the first member of our group take off.  We thought she was slowing down but then we all cheered as she safely made the platform.  I was more interesed in the third person to take flight.  Jeannie was closest to me in size and I knew that if she didn't make it to the other side, I wouild be in trouble.  It was great to see her land after gliding only, no pulling herself in.  Georgeanne gave me a push when it was my turn and I immediately tucked.  It was a rush to fly out and over the grass-covered ski slope.  I made sure to smile for the photographer even as I kept focused on staying in a tight little balll.
the easy bridge
  My arms were getting tired but I heard the cheers as I landed at the platform, no braking needed but I got there!  The cheers continued for each one of us.  We impressed Adam; apparently he doesn't often get a whole female group across this line without someone needing to be pulled in.

Ironicially the next line which was a lot shorter would catch both my sister and me.  She bounced out after coming in for a landing (I think, I was still at the other platform), and I would brake too much.  I was only a few feet short of the platform.  I quickly put my hands around the trolley to stop any backtracking, twisted around, and pulled myself hand over hand to the wooden platform.

This was the other bridge and time for a group photo.

last big line
  This shot came out really nice :)

Our last line was also the longest and highest.  We flew fifty feet above the treeline and Adam controlled all the braking so we could really enjoy the view through the valley.  This was a fast line too :)

Technically the last line was a really short one that took us back down to the ground.  Somehow we had the most trouble here.  Carole spun around multiple times on her way, and Sadie couldn't get her feet planted on the last stool.

We hiked down to a small cabin where granola bars and a van waited.  From here it was five minute drive back to the main resort where we got out of our gear, retrieved purses from lockers, and picked up our flash drive.

Forgot to mention the weather: we were racing a rainstorm for about half of the course but made it through with only a little bit of sprinkles, no thunder or lightening.

almost done
  I was a bit chilled but not frozen.

Lunch was up the mountain at a grill/restaurant that was not at all busy but well air-conditioned.  We were there for probably close to two hours just enjoying conversation.

Janie did a great job of driving our Jeep back.  We had one stop along the way at another rest area, missed the turn off shortly into Ohio, and got back to my place in the late afternoon.

Megan and big gloves