Reuniting

Green Tree Travel Blog

Each year during the Christmas season, I meet up with my closest friends from college (besides the two who live near my current address) since for 4 of the 5 of us, our parents still live in the Pittsburgh area.  Trying to align all of our schedules has proven difficult; this year would be the first in at least three years that we all would be able to meet, very exciting for all of us as we passed messages back and forth on Facebook and finally realized that we all would be free for New Year's!  Since it was a special date, we decided to pass on our usual lunch and a movie (although we kept the Secret Santa gift exchange).  Instead we would celebrate the change of the year at First Night in downtown Pittsburgh.  As I began to think about the 90-minute drive back to my parents' well after midnight (and with the very real possibility of drunk drivers), I suggested to the group that we consider booking a hotel room that night; the group agreed.  Kate researched and found a suite for us in Greentree.
So on a cold New Year's Eve, I packed up an overnight bag, my boots (I don't like frozen toes!), and my pillow (much more comfy than the hotel ones usually) and hopped in my car for the drive over to Beaver where I picked up Kate after her work day ended.  She met me at the top of her neighbor's drive, saving me the trek down the snowy path.  Traffic was light and in good time and after a nasty exit ramp (15 mph right after 55, really?) we pulled into the Quality Suites parking lot.  Kate tried calling the other pair expected to arrive a little before 5:00 like us.  No answer on their phones but as we walked up to the main office to register, Alysia and Lin came out.  We followed Alysia's red car around to Building 6 and then entered 611 where we explored the large room and chatted as we waited for Kristen to arrive.  Alysia probably had the most exciting news from the year, having become a first-time homeowner in the last few months.
Kristen made it around 5:15 and after exchanging greetings, we discussed some ideas for the evening and suited up.  Pittsburgh in December is not known for warm weather.  As 6:00 approached, we walked over to the main office again, this time to catch our shuttle to downtown.
Green Tree