My first day in Antigua

Antigua Travel Blog

After an okay nights sleep (the mattresses in the dorms have plastic covers on which rustle everytime you move) I got up around 10.00, and had a yummy breakfast of Pancakes and fresh banana with a Pineapple and Melon smoothie.

I left the hostel and went exploring Antigua, quickly realising this was not a big town. I explored the Plaza, Central Square and Market; the Plaza was throbbing with people and stalls all going about their daily business, in contrast to the Square where people were sitting and chatting and idly watching the World go by ... I did this too. Having had lunch in a little cafe I headed back to the Hostel to relax for a bit.

I headed back out around 16.00 and watched as the people got ready for the Christmas parade which was apparently happening later that evening. Again I headed back to the hostel and sat out watching Scary Movie 3 and then 2 while supping cold beers... life was fun! I had a delicious curry at the Hostel and got chatting to some Germans, a Swedish girl and a guy from Canada.
After a while we all headed out to a bar, almost the whole hostel went out together ... I was sitting there alongside 8 Germans, a Canadian, Swedish, Irish and some Americans ... it was a very cool evening. I headed home at about Midnight, ready to get up bright and early in the morning to hike up Volcano Pacaya.
mpope9 says:
Well I was a bit nervous at first with the taxi guys all competing for business right outside the terminal, but there seems to be an official bit that only registered representatives are allowed in, so I walked up to a guy in there and he took me to a taxi and we agreed a price up front. Admittedly the driver did lock the front doors as soon as we set off and I locked mine too. I, shamefully, only speak one or two words of Spanish nowhere near enough to get by!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2009
Vikram says:
Sounds like a lovely day. How safe was it taking the taxi from the airport to Antigua? Do you speak Spanish?
Posted on: Jan 04, 2009