Roatan Travel Blog

I got up just after 09.00 and got prepared to join the snorkeling tour, which we'd been told about when we'd arrived the previous evening. I wasn't sure if anyone else in the group was going to join, but it sounded too good to me to miss out on. I met the group who'd be snorkeling at the resorts dive shop. The group were from another tour company Toucan Travel. We went to two dive sites; the first had the better variety of fish. We were just over a patch of coral and then deeper sea, over the coral the fish swam freely, darting all over, there were hundreds all kinds of beautiful colours and shapes. I also watched a Barracuda glide gracefully past me. I'd taken my water proof camera with me with the hope of capturing the fish, (I had however discovered last night in the pool that the camera sank ... who makes a water proof camera that sinks!) so when I first jumped in the sea I'd thought I'd dropped the camera so I gave up on it; I discovered it later in the bottom of the boat ... I was gutted. Anyway, the second dive site was just off the West Bay beach, (which is stunning) here there were less interesting fish, however I did get to swim less than a foot from a Turtle (which was a pretty special moment for me, and the highlight of the tour), I swam alongside this large and gentle creature for about five minutes, watching as it occasionally surfaced for air, finally it dived into the depths of the sea and disappeared from view. With a huge smile on my face I dragged myself back on to the boat with the rest of the group and we headed back to land.
I went out with Karen to lunch, I only managed a light lunch as I was feeling decidedly odd. After lunch I sat by the pool, but feeling no better I went back to my room and went to sleep. Here I had my first dodgy stomach, and the runs (eww). I went out for dinner with the group but only managed a feable amount of my pasta because of my stomach ... I decided I'd swallowed too much sea water during the Snorkeling. Lesson learnt for the future!!!

photo by: islandflavour