Quepos Travel Blog

Manual Antonio National Park
I set out from the hostel about 09.00, slightly later than I'd hoped, and walked up to the bus stop. The sun was already high in the sky and beating down.

The bus pulled up, already absolutely packed and I climbed on, for the journey to Manual Antonio I was forced to stand on the bottom step, half hanging out of the open door, hanging on to the grab handle with all my strength.

Getting to the free beach, the bus emptied and the driver pointed me in the direction of the National Park. Making my way to the entrance, I had a brief chat with a girl I seen on the coach from San Jose yesterday. We got to the entrance to the park and I stopped to find out about the guided tours by a ranger, finding out it would cost me around $20 I decided it wasn't worth it, so I went into the park with camera ready to see what I could find.
Manual Antonio National Park

Walking down the main track I was looking all around me and hoping things would just jump out and be obvious, unfortunately and unsuprisingly most of the animals don't live next to the path. After a few minutes I saw a group stood up ahead staring in to the trees; reaching where they were standing I watched as a troop of White Faced Monkeys played around in the trees. Then one by one they started to cross the path between us all and climb and jump in the trees on the other side. One monkey had a baby clinging to her, I was completely charmed by their playful nature and stood there watching and taking photos for a good 20 minutes. I think I could have stayed a lot longer. Luckily no one was stupid enough to try and feed the monkeys!

Walking further, I saw the multitude of different plants and trees that make the park such a good habitat for the animals living here.
Manual Antonio National Park
I heard many birds but couldn't spot them in the dense canopies. A little way further and I paused to watch a Sloth sitting in a tree starting back at us, and again a little further I saw another sloth hanging from a branch, fascinating all of us watching by the way it appeared to be so lazy in its movements.

Finally I found myself at Manual Antonio beach itself, which looked to me like LOST should have been filmed here; trees overhung the soft sand, on the horse shoe shaped bay. It was lovely and I desperately wanted to go and splash around in the ocean, I hadn't thought about bringing my swimming gear though, so I had to satisfy myself with sitting on the beach and soaking up the sun.

Leaving the beach behind, I walked the track to the look out point, seeing a couple of lizards on my way.
Manual Antonio National Park
Reaching the end of the path and the look out point I was treated to a fantastic view over the majestic ocean, a peninsula jutting out and another golden beach drifting off into the distance. Just below in the scrub there was a Iguana, basking and munching on leaves.

Making my way back slowly through the park I headed into Manual Anotonio itself, stopping for lunch. Having had my fill, I made my way back to the bus stop and got back to the bus stop by the hostel. I scoped out the local shops and bought myself some pasta and a pre made sauce to cook for dinner tonight and tomorrow.

Reaching the hostel I plonked myself in a familiar hammock and treated myself to an ice cold beer and set about reading my book and enjoying the view and suns's warmth.
Quepos