Goodbye Guatemala

Copan Travel Blog

Our first travel day!

We all met at the hotel reception at 09.00 with our bags and got on our private mini bus for the journey to Copan in Honduras. We headed off to Guatemala and passed right through the middle of the city... the best description I feel I can give of the city is that it's "gritty" and very polluted. Certainly I don't think I'd feel very safe there. As we rolled through I was hit by the irony, of seeing a deep valley with the beautiful backdrop of Volcan Fuego, which in any other city would have been reserved for the million dollar mansions and villas but here were the slums gripping on the the steep sides for dear life.

Leaving Guatemala City behind we wound our way through the mountainous region on Southern Guatemala, which revealed some stunning vistas for me to gaze upon and my ipod gently tickled my ears.

We arrived at our first boarder crossing; into Honduras and managed to cross without too much hassle (there is a story there, but one that should probably not be posted on the internet). With the hour we arrived at our hotel in Copan Ruinas, and checked in to our hotel. To my delight I spotted the small swimming pool, so after a quick meeting from Martin, telling us about the town and when to meet for dinner, I dived in... FREEEZING!!!

At 19.00 we headed out into town for dinner, after which we went to a local bar and a few of us had a quick drink before bed.
Vikram says:
I can't wait to see the photos uploaded. I've heard nice things about this country!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2009