Damas Mangroves

Damas Travel Blog

I smiled to myself as I got up today; back at home it would be the first day back to work after the Christmas holidays for millions of people and here I was getting ready to go on a boat trip around the Damas Mangroves.

We jumped in to the van from the hostel, drove back down in to Quepos, through and out the otherside to the Mangroves, passing rice fields and pinapple plantations.

We got to the boat and set off down the river with our guide to explore the Mangroves in depth, as we passed down the river we stopped to watch some more White Faced Monkeys playing in the mangrove trees. As we pressed on towards the Ocean we saw a lot of different birds.

The tour was very good, and I learnt that there are four different varieties of mangrove tree; the white, black, red and pacific mangrove.

Arriving back at the hostel a few hours later, I took a quick shower and freshened up; it really was hot out there! I then walked up to the bus stop and took the bus down into Quepos. Arriving around midday, I headed of to a little cafe I'd seen on the way into Quepos from San Jose, Jungle Foods (i think its called). I had a lovely lunch of chicken and brocolli quesadilla and a smoothie. I would well recommend this place, for lovely and friendly staff and fantastic food. Finishing my food I walked back to the main bus station and bought my ticket for San Jose for tomorrow.

Having completed this task successfully, I set out on my next mission; to find the bookshop listed in the Lonely Planet and get myself some more books. This again proved to be an easy task, and about mid afternoon I headed back on the bus to the hostel; arriving back I jumped back in to the hammock and relaxed (Have I mentioned I LOVE hammocks!!!!!!!). Unfortunately we weren't to be treated to a spectacular sunset tonight, as a tropical storm set it and the rain was thrown down.
photo by: mpope9