Experiencing Dublin and Ireland's Coast

Dublin Travel Blog

Months before our group left for Europe, Brett planned an epic trip to Dublin for his birthday, which had about 20 of us hopping on good 'ol Ryanair for the weekend trip. The first night wasn't entirely eventful as we got there later in the day, but the next day was fantastic. Getting up early, we decided to take a bus tour up the south coast, past yacht-filled harbors (made me want a yacht) and through the Wicklow mountains to the Powerscourt Gardens, which are at this huge estate. The ride up the coast was absolutely gorgeous, and the gardens even prettier. Beth, our resident photo major, started freaking out when her camera started malfunctioning, and I thanked God mine was still fine; I would have cried if I were her!

The rest of the afternoon was filled with plenty of walking around Dublin.

We just so happened to be there for the Scotland v. Ireland Six Nations Rugby game, which meant the streets were filled with just as many Scots clad in colorful, sometimes even humurous kilts (though most were traditional). I could almost feeling the nervous excitement in the air as we walked around. Even before night came, we made our way to Temple Bar, the artsy area filled with bars. You can tell you've reached it when you hit the cobblestones and see drunk people strewn about the streets. Before we knew it, Brett and Ashley (it was her birthday too) were incredibly drunk, as one should be on their birthday. At one point we ran into a group of Irish crew men, who ended up all sitting in the middle of the street as if they were rowing one of their boats. Singing, they pulled Ashley down into the action, which was rather entertaining.

The guys/men in Dublin were incredibly friendly, in a very genuine way most of the time, which was very refreshing. For example, a guy might just come up to one of us just to say "Just to let you know, I think you're beautiful." Just like that-didn't try to be a creeper or get anything out of it. The one downfall of the bars was the drinks, even the beers, were incredibly pricey. I didn't think things got much more expensive than in London, but Dublin proved me wrong. All the same though, it was well worth it.

Wandering around the streets, we saw several artists and musicians. One in particular, playing a guitar and singing, grabbed our ear and we stopped to listen for a few songs. Paris was so impressed she stopped him in between songs to get his email-apparently her dad is a producer back home and has connections. Late into the night, when we'd had our fill of beer (and our wallets were empty) we set back to the apartments we were renting for the weekend. I think we all fell asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.

festerwretch says:
Krakow, Poland.
Posted on: Nov 19, 2009
livelovelaugh87 says:
That's cool-when we were at the top of the Guinness Factory we ran into someone we knew from home-it's such a small world...where were you studying?
Posted on: Nov 17, 2009
festerwretch says:
We were both "studying" in Europe at the same time ... looks like this was the closest we came to crossing paths - I was in Dublin about a week before you were. :)
Posted on: Nov 17, 2009
Beth pacing the lake, worried abou…
Beth pacing the lake, worried abo…
Scots in funny kilts