Decadent Dairy, Cool Clogs, and Tons of Tulips

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Kenny (pretending) to run into a parked car

The next morning came with a feast in the lobby. Not too shabby if I do say so myself! Before I knew it, we were whisked off on the bus to visit the Cheese and Clog Factory (yes, that is me officially renaming it due to my terrible memory...besides, that's what they called it!) In case you weren't aware, as I wasn't, the Netherlands make da** good cheese! I was incredibly tempted to go down the tasting line a 3rd and 4th time, muttering something to the extent of "I just can't decide which one Grandma would like; I have to pick the perfect cheese!" in order to make an excuse for my overconsumption of this decadent dairy. The owners of the shop explained how the cheese was made, then a young man did a demonstration of clog making for us, making it look terribly simple, though I believe most of us would have cut our thumbs off in the process-I swear he was doing it without even looking at the piece of wood in his hand.

Alex and the love-struck donkey
Who the heck came up with the idea to stick their foot in a hollowed out piece of wood? Must have been a brilliant man (or woman) as the clog is apparently still popular today in these parts of Europe.

Satisfied on cheese, we made our way to the little, sleepy town of Edam. I don't think I saw a single person roaming the streets besides the bike shop owners who set us up with our bikes. I wonder where everyone was...in their kitchen eating cheese, perhaps? Anyway, we spent the next few hours on a bike tour of the town, which happened to be quite picturesque. Kenny got so into his conversation with me that he ran into a parked car. Just Kidding. But we did take a picture to make it look like we did (don't ask, I'm not sure why).

Us embracing the odd statue

It was getting colder as we made our way to the Tulip farm. At one point it started snowing, which had us scurrying inside, but no fret- they grow tulips inside too! I have decided that when I own my own house the yard will have a special place just for tulips, I love them so much. Now, I understand that art's beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just don't understand the necessity to choose some art for particular displays. For example, the giant sculpture of a larger naked lady holding her arms up in a field of tulips. Confused at first, we decided to embrace this odd sculpture and take a picture with it.

And then came the donkey. A fantastic resemblence to Eeyore, we decided that Alex should take a picture pretending to almost kiss it. (Almost) being the operative word here. The donkey had other plans in mind, and taking a fancy to Alex, laid a nice wet one on her lips. It was hilarious! And we even caught it on tape! (I'll have to track that one down) Looks like I wasn't the only one getting an unexpected kiss this weekend!

Kenny (pretending) to run into a p…
Kenny (pretending) to run into a …
Edam canals