Pocosin Trail

Shenandoah National Park Travel Blog

bestest friends

Sarah and I wanted to go hiking, so we packed up my dogs and some snacks and drove over 2 hours thru some winding roads to Swift Run Gap. Taking the dogs wasn't the best idea since one of them threw up in the back of the car. Oh well, they enjoyed the walk once we got there. I had read the weather forcast and knew that it was about 20 degree colder there than it was at home but we still didn't dress warmly enough. Before we could get the motivation to get out of the car and start a trail, we stopped at one of the stores in the park and bought sweatshirts. (aww...so cute, we match) Today was suppose to be more about photography than hiking so we picked a trail out of the trusty guidebook that would have something interesting to photograph. We had actually intended on hiking more than one trail but I hate cold weather.

My babies checking things out
After two hours we were ready to go home.

Pocosin Trail has a well worn path that leadsd past an intact cabin where hikers could choose to stop and have lunch at a picnic table. We chose to eat in the car, where it was warmer. We continued on down the trail, which is only about another mile, to the Ruins at Pocosin Mission. The dilapitated rock and timber building was a decent sight to take a few shots. The dogs were going crazy the entire walk with all the different smells. At one point they found a pile of leaves that they really liked, they were snorting like pigs and they rooted thru the leaves. And of course, my babies are beagles so when they start tracking they start howling with excitement!

Sarah is always happy around trees