I can see the sea

Broome Travel Blog

We were quite excited this morning by only having to drive 400km’s to get to Broome.

The drive itself wasn’t that exciting, the scenery of the previous 2 days gave way to just mile upon mile of straight road through swamp, marsh or mangrove. Things did perk up when we flew past the only roadhouse on the entire road that was selling diesel for $1.80AUD a litre, a new high. We had plenty in the tank to get us to Broome so for once we were sweet, those money grabbers wouldn’t be robbing us today.

That decision could have come back to haunt us as we arrived in Broome on fumes, the fuel light indicator had given up just showing the warning light and had actually started to intermittently go out (not sure if this is a fault or a warning that it’s past urgent), luckily Broome is small and finding the nearest service station was relatively easy. I was playing it cool but Wendy had been biting her nails and looking nervous ever since the initial light came on 40km’s from our destination, the last thing she wanted was to be pushing that big heavy van through traffic ;o)

The campsite was another 8km’s from the petrol station, which I thought was odd since Broome didn’t actually look that big on the map. It turns out that the majority of that 8km’s was a beach - Cable Beach to be exact. On turning the corner to our campsite you could see the turquoise sea at the end of the road - we’d soon be back to our past vocation of walking along the beach to nowhere in particular.

The waters lapping at the golden sand of Cable Beach are from the Indian Ocean and boy was it warm, as a rough guess I’d have to say at least 30degrees (I’ll see if I can get an official figure from somewhere…or answers on a postcard). Since we didn’t have on our swimmers, we had to make do with paddling in the surf. Even though the beach is crescent shaped and it was impossible to get lost, when Wendy couldn’t see the white roof on the life savers club we had to turn back.

After a quick dip in the pool, we did go back to the beach for sunset.

The evening meal was a nice pasta with a bacon in spicy pepper sauce.

Broome