Wimped out of surfing

Quinns Rocks Travel Blog

After trawling around the Lakeside mall in Joondalup several times in the morning and watching most of the travesty that was the Liverpool match on a stall selling SkyTV whilst Woo was having yet another pedicure, we got invited to the nearby beach by my friend.

There were quite a few people at the beach when we first arrived, but I don't think they were too keen on hanging around once the wind picked up and started blasting everything with sand. Only the "green tomatoes" stuck around long enough to get sand into every possible nook and cranny. Something that later became evident by the little piles of sand that congregated whenever someone stood still long enough.

In the evening we all headed down to Hillary's Marina for some much needed food. Other than a doughnut Woo and I hadn't eaten since brekkie, so we were ready for it. Unfortunately being situated where it was the majority of the best looking and freshest food was my favourite, sea food..........NOT. On offer at the buffet was muscles, oysters, shrimp, fresh cooked snapper (Woo had seconds!), baby octopus, calamari rings, chilli squid, all-sorts of things that probably taste delicious but would never willingly pass my lips. Much to the amusement of everyone I stuck with a good old roast dinner, followed by lasagne! It was good to see the kids willing to try pretty much everything on offer....even if I did squirm everytime they ate a baby octopus. I even embarrass myself sometimes.

Oh I forgot, whilst sitting on the beach earlier in the day I'd managed to get my forehead sunburnt, so much so that it probably gave off enough radiant heat over dinner to keep the people sat either side very cosy. I think it was the sand blasting against my noggin, but everyone else doesn't share that opinion. Just goes to show, even after almost 12 weeks in Australia you can't take the sun for granted.

lockyboy says:
Yes Mr Abbott, your such a baby when it comes to sea food. Has been really great you & Wendy being in Perth for our arrival. I hope you will return when the green tomatoes have turned as red as your forehead.
Posted on: Apr 17, 2009
mumabbott says:

I dont like the sound of the fishy menu either gud old roast ,cant beat it ..the match was a good one even though we didnt get the result we wanted ..Marks looking forward to seeing you .speak to you when you get there ..love you loads xx
Posted on: Apr 16, 2009