Upward journey

Port Augusta Travel Blog

You would not believe how loudly the guy in the pitch next to ours snored last night, it was making the windows on our van vibrate, luckily after a few beers I can sleep anywhere. Just ask the many tube drivers that have had to wake me up on the last train at West Ruislip station.

Today we left Adelaide on our continued quest to get to the red centre, it's about 1600km's to Uluru (Ayers Rock) and we're planning to get there for Friday. So our previous regime of around 150km's a day is out of the window and we're in for some long driving days. Good job I've got a capable co-pilot in the seat next to me ready to take over at the drop of a dime. For this reason I decided that this was the day that Wendy finally got to drive the camper on the open highway, so about 70km's from Port Augusta I pulled over and handed over the controls. Other than stalling the van coming out onto the main road (she had to give way and wasn't used to the heavy clutch......) it was an uneventful journey to our destination. I took over again as we got into the centre of the town, just in case it got tricky, but I reckon we're good to go now.

Our journey today was a little longer than it could have been, but instead of sticking on the highway from A to B, I plotted a different route hoping to see more scenery. How wrong I was. It was mile after mile of straight roads and farms, good practice for later in the trip but not what I'd expected. We stopped for lunch in Port Broughton and whilst we were ther picked up some cakes from the bakery, a pleasant little interlude and much needed doughnut stop.

As exciting as our trip is, I can't miss out the best bits....our visit to the supermarket. This time we picked up a new brush to clean the BBQ, some beef sausages (not sure why but the pork ones over here are aweful) and some steak mince. Tomorrow we'll be going back for a major shop before we hit the centre, apparently things are very expensive.....so we'll be packing in as much supernoodles and pot noodles as the van can carry in preparation.

Right then, I've got to go cook the meat for tonights Sausage Pasta, so I'd better get a move on it's 19.30 already.

mumabbott says:
hello....left the roos behind i see .keep safe
ttfn love u xx