One Long Beach

Eighty Mile Beach Travel Blog

Cable Beach Pana

Before leaving Broome I took some photos of Cable Beach for Locky since he was moving to Western Australia soon. On the way back to the van I spotted a large lizard just sunning itself on a wall, it didn’t seem to mind me getting in close for some photos.

This morning we had a possibility of 2 destinations, either Port Hedland or Eighty Mile Beach. The reason for not being sure was that Eighty Mile Beach is only accessible via 10km’s of unsealed road and the campervan hire people specifically expressed that the van could only go 500metres over unsealed roads to get to a campsite….

Lizard
this was pushing that a little. I decided that we’d go to the unsealed road and check it out first, just to see. Well, after the first kilometre on the dirt track it was smooth going, then the ruts started. Not being one to turn around at the first signs of adversity, we pushed on but at a slower rate. Eventually we reached the end of the track and what seemed to be a wildlife park for Kangaroos, I had missed those hoppers.

All the books and the information pamphlet handed out by the campsite warn against swimming in the sea around here, something about sharks, stingers and something else I can’t remember right now. So even though it was incredibly hot we were unable to go for a swim (it didn’t have a pool either), so we opted for a long walk up the beach instead. It didn’t quite happen though, after about 1km we turned back, swapping the sea & sand for a chair in the shade.

Tonight I think we reach a new low on the culinary front, we both had tomato soup & a roll.

Eighty Mile Beach North View