More kayaking

Monkey Mia Travel Blog

Dolphin

We woke up to beautiful clear blue skies & radiant heat....on a day like this there can be nothing better than to go kayaking. Last time we made the mistake of not packing any food, not this time.

Things started off well with 2 Dolphins following along side us for a while as we headed out to Red Bluff, then on the other side we noticed a Dugong eating some sea grass about 15 metres away. We broke off from our escort of Dolphins and shot over towards it, just in time for it to accelerate swifty in the opposite direction. By the time we swang the kayak around it was 45 metres away and moving fast. We tried to keep up for a while but it was obvious it didn't want to play, so we went back to heading towards the bluff. The Dolphins must have got a bit miffed that we'd gone after the Dugong because there was no sign of them anymore.

Quickly accelerating away from us

Stopped at the bluff to eat lunch, just in time to watch the same dolphins plod by on their afternoon swim. After lunch and some sunbathing we pushed the kayak back into the water, whilst I was busy trying to point the thing in the right direction and get my butt on the seat Woo shouted Dolphins. Quickly scanning the horizon trying to pick them up I don't notice them going under the kayak, we're only about 2 metres of shore in 2 feet of water, you dont really expect to have look down. Needless to say I didn't manage to get the camera out before they were too far in front for us to catch up.

There were plenty of other sea life on the way back, turtles, eagle rays and sea snakes, but nothing as exciting as either the Dolphins or Dugong.

Monkey Mia