Learning to Surf

Mooloolaba Travel Blog

Alexandra Headland Beach

On leaving Hervey Bay this morning it was our intention to find somewhere to learn to surf, obviously not proficiently, just enough to be able to say we tried it and managed to stand up.

First off we headed to Noosa Heads, which reading the books led me to believe it would be like Airlie Beach, but they do apparently have good beaches to learn to surf on so we went anyway. We arrived to see massive waves crashing into the beach, so straight away we're a little on edge. When we couldn't find anywhere that looked like they wanted to teach anyone to surf, let alone us 2, we got back in the van and headed to our next destination. I know this sounds like a rash thing to do, but there is some method behind this madness. Tomorrow we've booked in to dive the HMAS Brisbane, which is around 40km's south of Noosa Heads, so if we stay in Noosa we have to get up really early in order to get to the dive shop on time, whereas if we go there today, it'll only take 5mins.

We arrive in Mooloolaba just after lunch, the sun beating down on us as we head away from the campsite to the main drag. Once again I misjudge the distance and we end up walking about 4km's along the beach to where I saw the shops. Did manage to find a coffee shop that sold 'Iced Coffee' without putting ice cream and whipped cream in it, they did look puzzled when we explained that's what they did up north rounds Cairns way.

On the way back with the heavy shopping we did notice that all the surfers must finish work early on Fridays as car after car was pulling up at the beach with surfboards sticking out the boot, those slackers it's only 3pm.

Mooloolaba