Kayaking and Snorkelling (Wendy's Update)

Coral Bay Travel Blog

Pig

Philip got angry with me because I was not ‘pulling my weight’ when we were kayaking to the inner reef of Coral Bay!  We were in a group of 3 kayaks with the instructor/guide taking a lone Spanish girlie on his kayak, and a Brit and a German on the other one.  This time there was no signing of indemnity forms or wearing of safety vests – we just paid our money and got on with it…  We were to kayak against quite strong currents for about 1km to the reef where we would moor up and then snorkel.  The currents were not quite strong – they were horrendous!  I was doing my best at the front, but we were miles away from the other two kayaks.  They could hear Philip getting very angry with me.  I just paddled on knowing that he would exhaust himself and then fall asleep in the sun later – who would wake him and insist on suntan lotion or the shade?!

The snorkelling was fun – we saw a couple black tipped reef sharks, a beautiful turtle and also some octopus.

Sleeping shark
  The fish were beautiful and bountiful.  After about an hour we popped back on our kayaks and paddled back to shore.  I’m sure I did all the paddling on the way back!

After a quick lunch back at Camper 1 we went back to the beach to do some more snorkelling and a little bit of sunbathing.  What a wonderful way to spend the afternoon!

When we got back to the campsite it was filling up with weekenders.  We had the pleasure of a group of friends/family with a big boat attached to one of the 4x4 trucks.  They were seriously obnoxious, so we chose to ignore them.   We closed the door and windows, turned on the AC and watched a couple of episodes of Heroes before sleep.

Phil - even the guide commented that Wendy was a "dipper" on seeing her technique, plus when I stopped paddling we didn't move.

Woo snorkelling