Fraser Island

Hervey Bay Travel Blog

Crazy plane

I hope you read that last link about Fraser Island, because I'm not going to go into too much detail about what it is and its history here.

Got picked up at 7.55 by Henning who would be our friendly german tour guide/coach driver for the day. Apparently there's a big need for the tour to have german commentary as well as english, go figure. The tour was to consist of driving to the marina (yes the one we walked to yesterday) and get the 45min landing craft over to the island, where we would board our 4WD coach for the day. First stop was a lake up in the hills, which people were expected to go swimming in, but everyone just watched the turtles before heading back to the coach.

Unfortunatly she didn't keep going
Then it was off to see the pinnacles, which we got to just as a sightseeing planes was coming into land on the beach, cool. After the pinnacles it was off to our lunch spot, which was a very nice camping area just a little further up the beach. This is when the tour guide/coach driver also became the cook, so we all sat back with our cold lager and watched him do his magic at the barbie. I know Sunny wouldn't have liked the steaks as there was no moo'ing and no blood splattering when cut, but I do like a nice well done steak every now and then. Henning also passed around a tray full of kangaroo, which he referred to as road kill, so much to Wendy's surprise on receiving the tray I took a piece and tucked in. I couldn't really put my finger on what it tasted like, a bit like beef but with a strange twist of something else.
The bus and the pinnacles
Anyway, that's my bushtucker trial done so next up will be Wendy eating Crocodile....we don't know when or where, but the gauntlet has been thrown down.

After lunch we headed off to see a famous wreck that washed ashore back in the thirties. When we arrived there was already a coach load taking pictures, but they quickly shifted, that didn't stop some of our mob going straight to the side of the wreck to be pictured, which meant I couldn't get a complete picture without someone I don't know in the way. I'll have to do some photoshop magic when I get back.

After the wreck it was off to paddle in a fresh water creek, one of many that help put over 4 million litres of water back into the pacific ocean every hour (it's amazing how little nuggets of information can stick in your head). We had a nice paddle up and down the creek before getting back in the bus and heading off for afternoon tea.

The Mohena

Nothing much really to talk about happened at afternoon tea, except for the group leaving 4 freshly baked chocolate chip muffins on the table when we left, which Wendy was aghast with, but she was too polite to shove them all in her bag. All the way home on the ferry on the way back I could tell she was thinking about the ones that got away.

Then it was off to catch the ferry back, which we were reliably informed that if it sank we'd be able to safely stay seated on the upper decks as it hit the bottom and we'd not get our feet wet. Saw a small pod of dolphins on the passage back, but they didn't want to play and just disappeared as we got close.

The only down side to the day (other than the muffins), was the lack of dingoes spotted. Whilst waiting for the ferry Wendy and I did follow some fresh tracks along the beach, but had to turn around when the ferry got close.

Crazy plane
Unfortunatly she didnt keep going
Unfortunatly she didn't keep going