Banteay Srei + others

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Preah Rup

Second day of the Siem Reap portion of the trip and after being taken for a bit of a ride (no pun intended) yesterday by the Tuk Tuk driver, we've come armed with an itinerary.

The main plan for the day is to get out to Banteay Srei which is about 30km north east of Siem Reap and come back via the Angkor temples.

First off this morning was Preah Rup, which I seem to remember from our last visit as the place we went to watch the sunset, but Wendy wasn't so sure. You do get great views across the tops of the trees from the top and you can even see the larger peak of Angkor Wat.

After Preah Rup it was going to be about an hour in the Tuk Tuk to get to Banteay Srei, which we spent taking in all the sites, sounds & smells.

Banteay Srei
Plus we spent the whole journey waving at all the children and saying "Hello Boy" to the dogs.

Banteay Srei is a fantastic temple and I'm glad we got to see it this time, as we obviously had something better to see the last time we were here. The striking thing about this temple is the different coloured sand stone used. Due to the distance this site wasn't as packed as some of the others we'd been to, so that's always good.

After Srei it was back towards Siem Reap and our first stop was Banteay Samre, another temple made out of the reddish sand stone. After lunch just outside the temple we ended up buying another book on Angkor that we didn't really need from a local vendor, we usually don't bother with them but this particular one had a sob story about not making any sales that day and not having money to go to school.

Ta Som

It was then back onto the Tuk Tuk and onto our next destination, Ta Som.

Ta Som is a great location to see some of the large trees that have managed to get a hold and actually flourish whilst attached to the stonework. In some case caused the things to collapse.

We had planned 2 more sites after Ta Som, but the pace was getting to us and we decided to make the next one our last. So on we went to Neak Pean.

Having seen Neak Pean before, we kept the pace up and got around it. What does make this site stand out though was the sob story a different local vendor gave me on our approach about not selling any books that day & not being able to go to school. You live and you learn.

I think I'll start adding information about meals, since all those who know Phil will be interested to know what he's eating.

Breakfast - Full English
Lunch - Wendy (Yellow Noodles with Pork), Phil (Fried Vegatables with Pork)
Dinner - Wendy (Pork Noodles with Mushrooms), Phil (Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese)

johanpixie says:
No M&S salad then !!! lol
Posted on: Jan 07, 2009
Neak Pean
Neak Pean
Banteay Srei - does my bum look bi…
Banteay Srei - does my bum look b…
Banteay Samre