Almost there

Denham Travel Blog

Denham (Shark Bay) Harbour

The last time we came to Monkey Mia there was the little matter of a 10 hour coach journey through the night with my knees pressed against the seat in front to get there - so my memories are mainly not pleasant ones.

The journey from Carnarvan was uneventful, although we must have found the exact location in Australia that has the most kangaroo carcases. In a mere 400 metres we must have seen 40+ fresh and old roo roadkills - not a pretty site.

After making our way up the peninsula that is the Shark Bay World Heritage Area, we stopped in Denham for fuel and a quick bite to eat. Imagine my surprise whilst filling up the camper to see a juvenile Emu racing up the main road. There didn’t seem to be anything chasing but it was certainly giving it some legs. We were also introduced to a new warning sign on the way into town for something that looked like a mouse. I asked a guy filling up his fork-lift truck next to me what it was and apparently it’s a Bandicoot. I’ve no idea how big those things are, but on leaving Denham for Monkey Mia I did have thoughts of a mouse the size of a cow being sat in the middle of the road…..silly me.

Zebberdee says:
Fella are you sure you wanna come back to Blighty ?
Posted on: Mar 27, 2009