Lovina To Kuta And All That Is In Between

Lovina Travel Blog

5th August 2008

Travelling back to Kuta from Lovina.

Met along the way: "Jimmy" local Balinese who loves Australia and wants to visit one day.

Local Knowledge: "Selamat Pagi"  Good Morning

Went out on a canoe type boat, known as a "Jukung", out into the ocean to chase after dolphins like mad people.
The 2 hour round trip in a boat that balanced by two large bamboo trunks (maybe it wasn't bamboo??) with no life jackets had me thinking "oh god, what am i doing?!" haha but I had a great time. Need to start living by the motto, nothing to fear but fear itself.
We ventured out to the ocean, about a kilometer or two from the shore as the sun rose over the mountains to brighten the day.
Jimmy - Local Balinese

We saw dolphins as soon as we got out into the ocean. It was mayhem as there were about 20 other jukungs all looking for dolphins as well.
It was like an 8 year old's soccer game.. everyone just chasing after the ball.
On the way back, we had a chance to go snorkeling  over the coral reef.
I opted not to. Fuck that, who knows whats in the middle of the ocean with no life jacket!! haha
Came back up to shore and collected bits and pieces of coral and shells.

I met a local guy named "Jimmy" who had aspirations to travel to Perth. I asked him if he has ever been to Australia and his response was "in my dreams, when i sleep". Jimmy was also telling me that his monthly wage is about 300000 INR (approx $35).
There is a clean distinction between the way of life and living situations between Bali and Australia.
In Bali, everything is cheap in my perspective, but for the locals they have a very hard time trying to make ends meet.
Git Git Waterfall

Monthly rent for a 1 bedroom basic bungalow is approximately 150000 ($16-17) but the wage is low. When i told the locals that my monthyl rent was approximately 6 million rupiah they were surprised that it was so expensive (in their view). I had to explain that our wage is a lot higher than theirs and the cost of living is always about the same in your own country.
We exchanged email addresses and I have been told when I come back to Bali I will have a tour guide and accommodation. lol
The actual Balinese people (as opposed to the deviants and hagglers which I found out are generally from Java or Malaysia) are extremely friendly and love Australia and the Australian way of life.

***

The rest of the day has been great.
Travels started with an expedition to 'Gitgit' Waterfall.
Tannah Ayun
It was a hike through walkways, pass market stalls and rice fields.
The views were incredible and amazing to see such a beautiful natural landscape within a jungle area.

From the waterfall, we ventured to the royal temple, "Tannah Ayun" and on the way passed through a down called Pancasani. I remember the name because it reminded me of pancakes.
Actually, it was on the way to Danau Bratan that we passed through this town.
Danau Bratan, located in Candikuning, is my FAVOURITE temple. It is simply stunning, located on Lake Bratan and only accessible to worshipers via boat.
While I was visiting there, there was a ceremony in progress and I got to see worshipers as well as be surrounded by traditional Balinese music.
Tannah Ayun was lovely as well, set between two rivers with a beautiful garden/park at the rear of the temple.
Tannah Lot

Last temple of the day was "Tannah Lot" situated off shore in the ocean and only accessible by worshipers. Stunning scenery, with ocean waves crashing at the base of the rock which the temple sits upon as well as on the foreshore. Surrounding Tannah Lot, there are markets galore!!

From Tannah Lot we travelled on the way back to Kuta (with a small detour that involved driving past the jail where Schappelle Corby is incarcerated.

During my travels I have seen that no matter how many people you have in your family, they will all fit on a moped.
I have seen mothers carrying babies while he father drives the moped like its a safe thing to do!
Also, everytime I went to get back into the van I went to reach for my seatbelt. How stupid for me to do this at least 50 times. No such thing as seat belts here!!

With all the 'bad' driving I have seen and been a part of I have not seen one accident.
Maybe Asians are bad drivers after all? haha

Pancansia
Pancansia
Jail...
Jail...
Sunset over The Bali Sea - Lovina
Sunset over The Bali Sea - Lovina
Lovina Hotels & Accommodations review
Hotel Puri Mandhara
I was recommended buy my private driver to stay here on my 2 day Bali tour with him. I was a bit dubious about being recommended to stay here but I w… read entire review
Lovina