Get Me Out Of Here!!

Jakarta Travel Blog

9th August 2008

I was awoken early this morning (about 6am) by the sounds of some form of music, maybe it was Muslim, I don't know.

Breakfast at the guest house was great!
They served a boiled egg with bread and my choice of butter, jam and nutella!
Nutella is the best, and being served in Indonesia really surprised me.

After Breakfast, I caught a taxi (which was hailed down by the owner of the guest house for me) and was driven to Gambir train station, where I have now been sitting for an hour waiting for a train to Bandung. I still have another 2 and half hours to go.
If I thought the driving in Bali was crazy, it is definitely more crazy in the city of Jakarta.

There's no such thing as lanes in the road, it you car/motorbike/tuk tuk can fit then you have right of way. It's a crazy system of 'just drive'.
Whilst sitting at the train station, I have had a chance to see the different classes of trains go by.

The highest class of seating is "executif" where you are guaranteed a seat and sit in an air conditioned coach (Jakarta - Bandung, 3 hours, 35000 rupiah).
The next class down is "bisnis" and althought seating is guaranteed, there is no air-conditioning.
The lowest and cheapest grade is "ekonomi" and involves no seating, no air-conditioning and most of the time, no doors on the carriages.
Locals sit wherever they can, on available seats (if any) on the floor, and even on the door!
I would assume this class of travel would cos approximately 10000 rupiah but I wouldn't dare use it! Especially not whilst carrying my backpack (which is really starting to hurt my back.
photo by: cicie