San Diego, relaxing after an intense 3 weeks

San Diego Travel Blog

pretty relaxing!
By the time we arrived in San Diego we were all pretty exhausted of 3 weeks of travelling and trying to see as much as possible (I only blogged about a small part of it because I don't have unlimited time to write blogs :-) And what better place to relax than sunny San Diego?
I don't see how anybody in San Diego ever gets any work done, it's so relaxing, nice weather, palm trees, people surfing or lying on the beach...
We drove from LA to San Diego and arrived pretty late, and pretty hungry. So we went to the Italian quarter in downtown San Diego to look for an Italian restaurant that was still open. Sadly they all closed down juuust as we arrived every time. Untill finally we found one that was still open and seemed very popular, you had to wait in line in an italian grocery store untill tables became free in the restaurant that was behind the shop.
anyway the food was great and in the end, that's all that mattered.
Over the next two days we did pretty much NOTHING and it was amazing. I hate beach vacations but for these 2 days I liked it. We went to Pacific Beach and to La Jolla just relaxed and swam in the ocean (for ever swim in the pacific for me!) Some of my friends went shopping in a big outdoor mall, and I joined them since I still needed some souvenirs, for the souvenir-hungry friends back home. But the others took longer than me to buy their stuff so I played 3 chess games against various San Diego locals on a big outdoor chess board. Chess, the universal language :-) Only won one of of those three games, but for all I know those guys did nothing else all day every day, and it's pretty hard to concentrate with shoppers watching you all the time.
After San Diego it was a looooong drive back to Berkeley, and along the way I insisted we stopped at a Wal-Mart because I had never seen one, and it had been my only must-see thing all month, so the others finally gave in and we went. It felt so american, the trip really wouldn't have been complete without it ;-)
The next day I had to get up early and head back to San Francisco airport for the long flight back to Belgium. I had my first taste of the USA but will definitely be coming back for more.
crazy americans