Los Angeles

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Yups, it's LA
After a fun road-trip starting in San Francisco, we arrived in LA.
LA is insane. From all the cities I've been to I usually quickly get a basic feel about the lay-out of the city, where everything is etc. Even for big cities like London, Paris or San Francisco this was no problem. But LA is simply too big, there isn't really a center and everything is so spread out, almost everybody lives in a house with 1 or 2 floors max + a garden, which takes a tremendous amount of space. On the first night we went over to a friend of Natalie's who lives in West-hollywood (or Hollywood? not sure anymore, you could see the famous Hollywood sign from her street, which was pretty awsome) That friend suggested we went to a bar that was "not far away, just a half an hour drive" which sounded quite insane to me already.
Yups, that's me
So we took the car and drove down one of the many LA highways, where traffic was horrible even at 3 in the morning. The bar was next to a HUGE scientology building, only in LA I guess. After that we still went to Santa Monica Pier where there was some kind of 4am fair going on.
I must admit we were acting pretty touristy in LA, but there are so many places you know from tv that you want to see, so we went to see the Hollywood walk of fame, the Hollywood sign, we went to see the houses in Beverly Hills and drove down Mulholland Drive. We also went to Universal City, which is pretty much like any other theme park appart from the studios tour where we could drive down the "Desperate Housewives" street.
The weather was amazing, as was to be expected, although sometimes it was quite smoggy. It really must be amlazing to live in a place where the weather is always nice. Natalie's friend was planning a garden party that was weeks away, they didn't need to worry about the weather at all, amazing.

I could never live in LA though, it is simply too big, too much driving around (there actually is a metro as well, which we used but nobody else did, we were totally alone in these huge metro stations, pretty weird feeling.) I much preferred San Diego (where we went after LA) which has even better weather (less smog) and a more human scale, but more on San Diego later.
travpro11 says:
I love LA :)
Posted on: Aug 22, 2010
Vikram says:
I know what you mean - even I could never live in L.A. It's either too big and fancy and posh, or too seedy. No moderation. I love Bay Area (San Fran) much more. Haven't spent much time in san Diego to comment.
Posted on: May 11, 2009
Ellie's dog in LA
Mulholland Drive!
Mulholland Drive!
Desperate Housewives
In a cinema in Hollywood: the Dark…
In a cinema in Hollywood: the Dar…