firenze!

Florence Travel Blog

Florence is amazing! I had some problems getting into Florence. No sophia trip is complete without such a messup.

I went to the ticket counter in bolzano to buy a ticket from there to Florence. it was 11am and I was going to take the 11 30 am train. or so I thought! I went and my debit card wassn't working! I went to an ATM and it wouldnt work there either. At this point, I started to freak out. i called my "dutch mom" and she assured me money was in the account because she transferred it and it was supposed to be immediate. NOT. I had to wait a while. I ended up taking a later train at 4. I bought the cheap slow train ticket for 17 euro, but a really nice(and cute) guy told me to just get on the fast one with him and he would show me how to ride it.
i had to. he was doing it first!
Italian trains assign you a seat number and you HAVE to sit in that seat. I didn't have a seat number and neither did, Mr. Bologna(I'm calling him that because that was his destination and I can't remember his name), so we sat where we could. Whenever we stopped in a big city someone would claim their seats and we had to move. It was pretty annoying, but I was enjoying talking to Mr. Bologna(he looked like Ralph Fiennes *swoon*). We finally ended up standing in between 2 cars until our stops. Finally in Florence. I hailed a cab and took it to my hostel. It easily could've been a short walk, but i would have gotten lost. I arrived at my hostel around 9. Met the other guests who were really cool. I liked all of them. We played some drinking game and then went out dancing! Tons of fun! Didn't get in until around 3 or 4.
Can't remember :P

Woke up at 8! That's only 3.5 hours of sleep folks! I am super! Or just really weird. I took a cold shower (sharing hot water with 32948928589 other people =no fun) and went on my way to explore Florence. I saw most of the city. Florence is very small and thankfully easy to get around. I bought a guide book and went exploring. I saw all the main plazas. My favorite being Michelangelo's square. I loved the view. You can see all of Florence from up there! It was simply beautiful! I wanted to see the famous David of course. Unfortunately, the queue for Academia(the museum that holds the David) was too long for my liking! I also missed out on the Uffizi because of the queue as well. Should've had an earlier start. I don't regret it though. I had a marvelous time just wandering around and exploring all day.
heart!
I did get to go to one museum. The museo dell'opera del duomo. I was really looking forward to it as I'm a big fan of Michelangelo's Pieta in the Vatican. He has one in this museum as well! It was supposed to go in his own tomb, but he never finished it. Even though it's completely beautiful, Michelangelo didn't like it. In fact, during the making of the statue he destroyed it in a fit of anger because he screwed something up. Quite the overachiever, eh? Other notable statues were a wooden Mary Magdalene by Donatello. I wandered around the rest of the day. Buying souvenirs and doing some shopping of my own! ^_^ Now I'm back at the hostel hanging out. I'm exhausted and still going on a few hours of sleep. I have to wake up extra early in the morning to get to Pisa! whee! Finally, the leaning tower
i love my lattes