Tulum or bust

Cancun Travel Blog

just lovely

On Friday, our last full day in Cancun, we decided to rent a car and head even more south.  By we I meant Erika, Klarke, Cecily and myself. Sharon and Esh stayed behind to do some shopping. I was talking to the rental reps and they told us if we wanted to see some things to just head down the main highway and we would hit the attractions. Well, we decided to go south like they said, but we chose to drive to Tulum. It is one of the Mayan temples that you are able to admire from afar. I have never driven in Mexico. The reason is I believe that people drive crazy. I say that because when I’ve gone to TJ or Rosarito, Mexico I freak out at how other people drive. But I decided to take a chance and just drive! Well, good thing I did.

I wasn’t scared at all and it helped that the drivers weren’t crazy like they are in TJ. That was a relief! We went on our way, which was the same way we went to Playas del Carmen. I felt I knew the way already! We slowed down to see the nice spots, but didn’t stop. We reached Tulum I would say in about an hour or so. Of course I passed it and had to bust a u-turn. But we got there! We  parked and got out of the car! It felt great to stretch my legs! There was a little shack and they provided maps and guides to help you around Tulum. We decided not to get either the maps or guides. We were wondering where we needed to go and enter the site, but we were a bit confused.
preparing to climb
We did see people walking towards this little street so we were going that way. Cecily had been injured in an accident she suffered in Thailand so she couldn't walk very far without her knee starting to hurt. We decided to go back and see if we could catch a tram. We found the place that you need to purchase the tram bracelet and we each got one. We must have waited maybe 15 minutes before got on the tram and started going towards the entrance, but during that time we were entertained with the men that climb the pole while playing music. What they after they climb all the way up with ropes is twirl the ropes on the pole and play their little tune. Once they finish they come down going in cirles hanging on to the ropes by their legs only still playing their instruments! I know, I know! They've got talent!

The ride to the entrance was fine, and it was a short one.

a couple already at the top
 The cost to enter was about 40 pesos (USD $4). This gave us access to all the site had to offer! We walked in and it was a pretty long dirt walkway with trees. It was really pretty! I was trying to picture in my head how it would have looked in ancient times when the Mayas were still around but I couldn't. I guess my mind was not that active at that moment. We went up some steps and then we saw the full impact of Tulum. Oh my goodness. The setting was beautiful! I couldn't believe how beautiful this place was! The temple, cliffs and then the ocean! How they would have built this place so long ago I do not understand, but they must have known how beautiful it would be. I was blown away! We walked towards the first temple and we spent maybe five minutes just looking at it. That's how we were at every single site. We must have been there for about 4 hours. The best part of the ruins was the beach! It is so beautiful! Of course the water was so turquoise, but it was the setting and the cliffs that made it so grand, so magical.
the entrance
I could picture in ancient times the children playing in the water with their mothers watching over them. The merchant ships coming closer to shore and all of the clan greeting them at the beach. The temple where the sacrifices occurred and blood all over the place…lol! I had to throw that in there. I didn’t picture that last part at all. By the time we had come back up and met up with Cecily, we were ready to head back.

We went to the trolley stop and waited a couple of minutes before getting on one and heading back to the main entrance. The sun was setting by this time, but we decided to eat at one of the restaurants there. The enchiladas I had were really good! I don’t remember what anyone else had. But while we were eating the sun had already gone down, and  I don’t know what it is, but after the sun sets the mosquitoes come out to bite! And boy do they ever! I got bit on my arms, legs and back! EEK! It was bad! I was the one who got it the worst…maybe because I’m sweet! j/k! We finished and headed towards the car, which happened to be the only one at the parking lot! And it was a dark parking lot, too! Kind of scary! The lot didn’t have any lights! We got in and headed back to our hotel.

the path
The drive back was uneventful and we did get to the room I would say at about 10 p.m. I wanted our last night there to end with a bang…going out and dancing the night away, you know? But after driving there, walking all day out in the hot sun and then driving back…boy was I tired! Once in the room I went straight to bed. I thought I would take a short nap, but nope! It was a full night of sleep! I think Cecily came in to try to wake me, but I couldn’t. I was exhausted! It was a great day, though.

patirkc_AAA says:
Nice post and great photos. I hope you've enjoyed Cancun and Tulum!
Posted on: Nov 04, 2015
look how tiny that is!
look how tiny that is!
erika & me
erika & me
pretty beach!
pretty beach!
the not so virgin sacrifice!
the not so virgin sacrifice!
Cancun