Rue de Rollebeek & Grand Sablon

Grand Sablon Travel Blog

After leaving the remnants of the old fort walls, we wound up on Rue de Rollebeek which was a beautiful street lined with little shops, restaurants, and had a bit of an antique type feel.  Weekends are apparently filled with antique markets which bring a rather large draw of tourists and locals alike.  One thing I noticed on this street was a number of fancy dessert and Chocolate shops.  This is apparently where some of the best Belgian chocolate is.   (I read Wittamer, Pierre Marcolini, and Godiva are the best).  I saw several places with the Marcolini name and pretty much stopped in every window to drool over their creations.  I was still in agony over the the giant waffle but defnitely could appreciate some beautiful sweet creations as I walked off the waffle! LOL.

We were heading to the Grand Sablon which is the vast triangular square that extends to the Rue De Rollebeck.  This is where you find the vast array of shops, restaurants, and a few hotels.  It was a bit hard to get through some parts as they had a Christmas Mart it appeared and cars were parked all over and the walkways very narrow and crowded.

We stopped in a couple places and I managed to get told no on photography in the Pierre Marcolini "factory" of sorts.  There was one of the places they were actually making all the confectionaries and we walked through and I took a couple photos of the stuff in the cases when I got told no photography allowed.  Didn't say I had to delete what I already took though! :-)

We bought a couple chocolates from one of the nearby shops and headed on our way yet again.  We would come back again later to actually walk through Notre Dame as we rounded out our walking tour of Brussels

Grand Sablon