Battle of Waterloo

Waterloo Travel Blog

On our drive home, Brett asked if I would be interested in seeing Waterloo, even though it would obviously be closed and we could not get inside to see much.  After a couple wrong turns (lol), we found it and it was soooo incredibly dark in the area.  We walked over to the area where you would enter the visitor center for a tour and tried to snap a couple shots of the battleground and monument.

The battleground seen today is a large hill/mound which was constructed with ground from the actual battleground itself, including Wellington's sunken road.  The Lion's Monument, erected by the King of the Netherlands on the spot where he believes his son, the Prince of Orange, was wounded.  The lion is the heraldic beast on the coat of arms of the monarch of the NL, which symbolizes courage.  The front right paw has a sphere, which is said to signify global victory.

Sadly, because it was so dark outside, the pictures came out very blurry since we could not get any closer.  Definitely somewhere I want to go back and take a tour of, if and when, I am back in Belgium!

photo by: Adrian_Liston