World Series

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Before the game

I am a huge Philadelphia Sports fan.  And my favorite of all Philly teams is the Phillies.  So when they made it to the World Series, I had to make the trip.  The minute they won the National League pennant, I was online looking for tickets.  It didn't take long to find a seller.  The only problem was the price.  For standing room only to game 5 (possible championship game) the cheapest I could find was $600.  I didn't know if I'd ever get this chance again so I bought one ticket immediately.  The next thing I needed was a hotel and plane ticket, which I was able to find for $400.  So far my trip plan was going pretty good.

Self Portrait
  The only thing I needed was for Tampa Bay to win one game.  It killed me to want Tampa to win one game, but it's what I had to do in order to see a game 5.

Self Portrait

Finally, I was able to make my solo trip to Philadelphia.  The pre-game weather was great.  Of course that was also four hours prior to the game.  I would find out later that the weather wasn't going to hold.  It figures the one time I get to go to a Phillies World Series game and history is made.  After five and one half innings the game got called due to a rain and snow mixture.  The wind was so strong that I couldn't even keep an eye on the ball.  I understood that the game needed to be cancelled, but I was still very disappointed.

Batting Practice
  After standing in the cold, rain, and snow for a couple of hours I was sent on my way out the door to find a cab.  I was thinking that finding a cab would not be a problem.

Batting Practice

I was wrong!  For the next hour and a half I wondered the streets of Philadelphia looking for a cab.  The entire time the weather got worse.  I was soaked and freezing.  My arms were full of all the souveniers I had to have and all I wanted was my hotel bed.  At long last I found a cab and made it back to my hotel.  I have not been so happy to be in a warm bed in a really long time.  That had to be the best I slept in years.

The next day I found out that the game was not going to be played that night.  Rather than trying to get a hotel for the next couple of nights and missing a few days of work, I went home.  Over all, the weather was horrible and I didn't get to see my beloved Phillies win the World Series while I was in town.  But I wouldn't have given up the experience of being at the game they would eventually win. It made this Phillies fan's year.

Jimmy Rollins
Jimmy Rollins
The National Anthem (my favorite p…
The National Anthem (my favorite …
The Philly Phanatic