EuropeItalyRome

Just a bit of reality setting in......feeling busy and a little overwhelmed

Rome Travel Blog

Villa Borghese
The last few days have been so much fun. Lizzy came to visit and I was so glad to see her! We've had so much fun seeing the sights in Rome...I saw some for the first time and some for the second or third but I don't think I could ever tire of the beauty of Rome. Luckily we had a beautiful day yesterday ...we took advantage and took a walk through the Villa Borghese, which was absolutely beautiful. We saw some other things around the city and finally went at night to get some gelato and to see the Basilica di San Pietro. I don't think I could describe what that experience felt like if I tried. Being Catholic, the experience had so much meaning to me already, but just the size of it was incredible and everything inside was so beautiful.
Unfortunately my camera battery died so I have no pics of that, but I will definitely be going back soon, not that any picture can ever capture what it feels like to be there.

I'm so exhausted now, so sorry for my horrible writing....I know I'm starting to sound like a 10 year old at this point but I feel like if I don't write everyday, this experience is just going to slip through my fingers. One of my classmates said it best today on the ride home after school....I feel like I'm going to get back to the states and think, "Wow, did I dream that?" But I don't want that. I want to remember what I saw, how I felt, and how it changed me. I want to remember the things I learned and how I learned them. I want to remember my struggles. I feel like in order to get the most out of this experience I have to be able to reflect on it.
I would like to write here daily if I could, but I know that is not possible. Not only that, but many of my days are just so uneventful. School and studying takes up a lot of my time, but I think I'm just going to have to learn to manage my time better. There are still so many things I want to see and do here.

One thing that I have found a little disappointing about this experience is the number of people here that speak English. I know that I'm only in my third semester of Italian, but I want to be able to practice it more. While a lot of people are really helpful with my limited Italian, some just seem to start using English when they realize I don't speak much Italian. I guess, though, that just means that I have to study and practice Italian that much more. I feel that this problem is compounded by the amount of time I spend with other American students here.
I mean I've made a lot of friends and that's a good thing, but sometimes I want to just go off and do things on my own. I want to get lost and have to find my own way back home, or be forced to get by with the small amount of Italian that I know. But I know there will be time for that. This weekend I'm meeting Lizzy in Venice and I'm responsible for getting there alone. I really need more experiences like that. I am so tired of the mentality of so many of the American students here. I feel like they just want to be tourists. I mean most of them are really nice people but I'm starting to realize that in order to get the most out of my experience here, I'm going to have to spend a little less time with them.
I guess I'll have to plan some things to do by myself or with just one or two other friends. We'll see. There's still so much I want to do, and I'm starting to realize how fast the time is going to go by....it's a bit overwhelming. But for now I have to go to sleep. I'm meeting Lizzy in the morning so I can show her the Pantheon (hopefully I won't oversleep today like I did l yesterday haha)..then I'm helping her get to Termini so she can get to Florence!!

That's another thing I have to do is plan a day trip to Firenze! I really want to go. I have other trips to plan as well...I really want to see Lucca (where my Italian ancestors are from) and I'm thinking of possibly going to Spain for spring break. I'd like to get to a few different places there so hopefully I can find some reasonably priced flights, trains, and hotels.
Some friend are also planning Paris, which I suppose I should see but I think that something like Nice might be more enjoyable, but I still have so many things to plan....I'm so overwhelmed! haha Oh but now I am so tired. All of this will have to wait for tomorrow but for now at least I've got an idea of what I have to do. I think tomorrow I might go to the Musei Vaticani after helping Lizzy to Termini. I don't have class until 3 so hopefully that would give me enough time. Well, now, time for bed! Pictures coming soon, hopefully tomorrow!!!

bernard69 says:
as Keeweeset says,u can flight Easyjet to Lyon for 55 euro:)))
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
keeweeset says:
Hi there! It looks like your having a great time in Rome. I was wondering if you knew about Ryanair, Easy Jet and Air Berlin, you might be able to get inexpensive flights with them to Spain and other places. Take care! =)
Posted on: Feb 10, 2009