EuropeItalyRome

Who says there's no love like your first? Away from NYC, I'm falling for something warmer . . .

Rome Travel Blog

So I'm a big liar. I haven't updated at all...and now I suppose it's too late to go back and explain everything I've already experienced. But for what it's worth, I will try to work as much of it as I can into my future entries, which I absolutely promise will be more frequent. Although I have to actually take my laptop to school (somewhat of an inconvenience) in order to upload my pictures, I'm going to have to become more determined to make this work. Even though I'm so busy, it's something that is really important to me. When I started this whole adventure, I knew that I was looking for something. I'm still not sure exactly what that is, but I do know that in order for me to gain anything out of this trip, I've got to do a lot more reflecting on my experiences.

First, I do want to say how completely and totally I have fallen for Roma. I know I've only been here for a little over two weeks but I know that if I had to be stuck anywhere in the world out of all the places I've ever been, it would be here. Never have I seen such beauty or met so many people so kind and so full of life. I know just saying that without actually writing in detail (which I will do from now on!) about people I've met doesn't really do much to convey what I mean about this culture's powers of enchantment, but it's so crazy. So many people here are so kind, so gracious. People are always willing to help, whether it's with directions or my Italian grammar or to explain something about Italy, there is just something about the people of Rome that is so different from what I'm used to in Philly and New York. I don't quite know how to explain it...there's a warmth, an appreciation for beauty that is completely lacking in the demeanor of the inhabitants of the US cities I've lived in. I feel absolutely at home here. I mean sometimes people stare at me on the metro, and sometimes people get impatient with my limited Italian, but for the most part, I feel safer and more welcome than I ever did in US cities. I absolutely love it! I'm really enjoying my international business classes too.....sooo if this feeling doesn't fade too quickly, I'm thinking I would love to work/live here someday...we'll see I suppose. But for now, I'm hopelessly enamored and I just want to bask. That's not so bad is it?

Pictures coming as soon as humanly possible!

Oh and Lizzy visits this weekend!!!! Can't wait to explore with her!!!
Romebuddy says:
I'm really glad Rome made this good impression on you, Before this international crisis People were even more kind then how they are now.
Enjoy My beautiful City and if you need anything just le t me know but before you leave I wanna take you to the Stadium to see a ROMA soccer match!!!
cheers
Posted on: Feb 12, 2009
JenCooks86 says:
I'm glad you enjoyed it Vincenzo! I have been so impressed with how kind and welcoming the people are here. It's such a nice change. I'm so envious that you were born in such a wonderful city and you still live here!! Thanks so much for your comment and for reading!! This has by far been the best few weeks of my university experience, and I have your lovely city to thank!! Buon weekend!! :-)
Posted on: Feb 06, 2009
VincenzoB says:
being born in Rome, and living here all my life (except five years in the States) I felt really good reading your blog
I tend to see all the negative aspects of my city, like many of us in Italy, but it great to know that a foreigner can have impressions like yours about my hometown. Rome, indeed, is great!! Have fun!!!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2009