The United Nations & Horror movies

New York Travel Blog

The UN building

On my last day in NY in 2004, I decided to visit the building of an organization I had had my encounters with before, since the 'Blue helmets' were also involved in the peace process in Croatia. Though the UN itself hadn't gained many sympathies amongst my people due to a certain lack of effort in preventing what was to become a bloddy and violent war, we are aware that Croatia joining the UN was a significant event.  Working for the European Community Monitoring Mission for a while, I had the chance to talk to UN officials, as well as to other international organization's employees, and realized that they were just people trying to make a difference. Some of them took their mission seriously, some of them just wanted to quickly get it over with, not really caring about the core of the problem. But, as I said, they are just people.

We are just people.

That day I had the privilege to get a ride in a police car. No, I hadn't done anything wrong, didn't steel, kill nor spit on the floor. A friend cop gave me a lift while patroling the city. Felt really safe.

After entering the UN building on 1st avenue & 46th street, I had to pass security. Actually, you have to pass security in every public building, and while it was pretty annoying in the beginning, as time goes by you get used to it. And it feels kinda safe. So, after another security check, I checked in for a guided tour. We visited an assembly hall, and the guide explained the history of the organization. We were also shown the pieces of art decorating the halls and donated by the member countries. The tour ended in the souvenir shop.

My last day in NY in 2004 ended with going to the movies, Eric and his friends invited me to. I had no idea what was to hit me when I accepted. "Saw". Still can't believe they are actually making more and more parts of this sick movie.

Ironically, my last day in NY in 2009 should also end with a horror movie. But this time I was the one who chose it. "My Bloddy Valentine 3D". It was also the first 3D movie I ever saw, and it was awsome! Though, watching a horror movie in 3D is absolutely not a good idea. The movie is gross, scary and violent.  But then again, what did i expect? Actually, I expected to see Jensen Ackles's brilliant acting. I've been watching him creating and developing the "Supernatural" character 'Dean' through 4 seasons now, and he is just brilliant! So, will somebody please give the guy a decent script?!!! Same goes for his co-star Jared Padalecki. Will somebody please give the guys a decent script?!!!!

New York