New Year's Eve on Times Square.... or somewhere near

New York Travel Blog

New Year in Manhattan

Of course I wanted to go to Times square. Of course! But I were warned by the locals. People who live here, actually don't go spend New Year's Eve on Times square. Because that's nuts. It's freezing cold and you have to be there hours before midnight.  And once you have found your spot, you're stuck – no way of getting out (like, to a restroom) and coming back. Go take a leek and you loose your spot with the perfect view on the dropping ball you've wasted all day to keep it. But I was tempted. Here I was in New York City on New Year's Eve and wasn't to participate in one of earth's most spectacular events? Really?! My friends weren't very eager to go, but they are the best friends in the world and said "If you'd  like to go, we go".

The Empire State Building in New-Year-colours
  But then something happened. That day it started to snow and the temperatures dropped below zero (Celsius. Don't expect me to use any US measures here, after all I'm a European and a lousy mathematician ;-)).  Now I was uncertain: was it worth freezing your butt off just to see a crystal ball dropping? - No. Was it worth freezing your butt off to join one of the biggest parties in the world? …. Hm, I'm thinking…. and thinking …. and thinking….oh, God, this is tough!!!  Finally, we agreed on a half-way solution: we'd go to Manhattan half an hour before midnight. You think that's a waste of time? Oh, no, it isn't.

We started the celebration at a party my friend's neighbours invited us. They were from the Dominican republic and for me it was the first time to meet people from there and taste their cuisine.

Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza
All I can say is: awsome and delicious. Thank you Rocco and your family for your hospitality, I enjoyed it very much!

We moved on to another friend's house, and as 11 p.m. was approaching finally set out to the train station. It was freezing and therefore the safest way to get to Manhattan. Ten minutes before midnight we were somewhere around 35th street, just in time to see the fireworks  a few blocks away on Times square. The streets were crowded with people and everybody was excited and having fun. A great atmosphere! But as soon as midnight was over everyone had the same thing in mind as it seemed: get away from the cold. That's what we did too, and went to a little bar to toast to the new year.

Happy new year, travbuddies! May it be filled with travels and new friends, with health and joy.

By the way, the crystal ball is being displayed in the Times square information center days before New Year's Eve, so you can take a close peek at it.

New Year in Manhattan
The Empire State Building in New-Y…
The Empire State Building in New-…
Rockefeller Plaza