Little Italy & Chinatown

New York Travel Blog

Little Italy

Between Broome and Worth Street you'll find these two ethnic enclaves. Can't miss them. Little Italy has buildings and lamps painted in Italy's national colours. Chinatown is likeā€¦, well, much like China. In Little Italy there are mostly restaurants and pizzerias. In Chinatown there are shops. My guide recommended shopping in Chinatown, since you should find there anything from the needle to the plane at reasonable prices. After taking a stroll, I quit. Yes, it was cheap, and so did the merchandise appear. I recalled my visit to China 3 years earlier, and how it was no problem to bargain a price even 90% down. I also recalled our guide, who had lived in China for 10 years teaching at the Beijing university, telling us about the mostly slave-like conditions in which these products were produced, which left me, naive spoiled european, in a shock.

Little Italy
But then again, these shop-owners here make a living by selling the stuff. A "devil's wheel" as we would say in Croatia.  Still, I decided to skip shopping, and instead headed to the "Museum of the Chinese in the Americas". It took me a while to find it on the corner of Mulberry and Bayard street, but it was worth looking for it. Located in what appeared to be a community building, the museum exhibits photos and stories of chinese immigrants, revealing a piece of american history I had no idea about so far. I absolutely recommend a visit to this museum.

Further west from Little Italy, at 76 Mercer Street, there's another great museum revealing another part of history - it's the "Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Annnex NYC".

Chinatown
Yes, the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame has an annex in NY! It's rather new and I came across it quite accidentally. For all of us who love rock music this is the right place to visit. Through different galleries you are guided through the history of rock'n'roll. The tour starts with a short film about pivotal artists, also showing extracts from their concerts. After the film you get a set of stereo headphones that use wireless technology to transmit audio content as you tour the galleries. While you listen to the descriptions and the music, you can see personal items of the artists telling a musical story themselves. I'd say this museum is a highlight for every rock music lover, and an interesting introduction for those yet to become.

New York