Culture around Central Park

New York Travel Blog

The Metropolitan Opera

On the Upper West Side on 66th street there's the "Lincoln Center", consisting of the Metropolitan Opera House with the beautiful Chagall paintings decorating the windows, the Lincoln Center and Walter Reed Theater, the Avery Fisher and Alice Tully Hall and the Julliard Music School.

Further north between 77th and 79th street  there's the "American Museum of Natural History". Definitely worth a visit, and you should take a whole day. My favorite exhibition is the "Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space", but the rest is also amazing. I said before, that you should plan a day just for this museum. Simply because you can either actually spend the whole day here and still don't get to see everything, or you spend half the day here and then just go and relax, because your mind is so full with new impressions that it would have a hard time processing any more.

One of Chagall's paintings

On the Upper East Side on 82nd street there's the "Metropolitan Museum of Art". Now talk about abundance of impressions. I spent the whole day here, and half of the next day, still didn't get to see everything (ok, I'm a little slow in museums). And I realized I didnt want to see everything. I had enough. In my mind, the exhibits had transformed from being exquisite pieces of art into things in glass cabinets. There are just too many of them!!! So, though this museum is absolutely recommendable, please ingest in small portions. A quick absorption of large portions might cause serious brain damage.

One of Chagalls paintings