Pa-heeee!!! Day 2

Paris Travel Blog

French fries in France!
Second day of Paris began by being woken up by V at noon. I was telling him last night that I would have woken up much earlier, but I guess I was really that tired the day before. I got ready and then we headed to meet Mathilde at SciencesPo, their school. I remember I wanted to study at Sciences Po if I were to study abroad in Paris. I ended up not going to France but to China because I thought my french was not sufficient enough to engage in academic activities (heck, it probably would not even sustain me for a decent conversation). Therefore, I chose not go to France because I knew I wouldn't have the real French experience, and I supposed I had the quasi-Chinese experience that year instead.
The French

Anyways, I thought their school was rather fascinating. It was not extraordinarily gorgeous; if there must be an US-equivalent, it looks very much like NYU. It was just really funny to be sitting in a school which I was trying to go to.
Mathilde looks much happier in France than in China. We all walked to a Belgian chain restaurant and I had some muscles seafood. It was quite good. The restuarant is called, I think, Leon de Brussels (in French). After lunch, the 3 of us took a short walk to Notre Dame. On our way, when I asked someone to take a photo of us in front of yet another fountain, turned out the man was an American (what a surprise... not) but the fact that he knew about Baruch was rather pleasantly surprising.
Mathilde left us at the steps of Notre Dame, and Vincent accompanied me to walk around the famous cathedral.
Inside Notre Dame
Maybe it was because there were too many tourists, or maybe it was because I had expected much aesthetically, but I did not spend much time inside. I thought I was too rushed and it was too crowded to really sit down and enjoy the architectural structure, the ornaments, the stained glass, the vast space and so on. I'm not saying the Notre Dame was not worth a visit; as a matter of fact, by all means, go to Notre Dame because it is a must see. However, if you are going for the aethestics, you might either go to somewhere else or go when there are fewer tourists.
After Notre Dame, Vincent brought me to the Jardin du Luxembourg, where he took a nap as well. While he was napping, I walked around the garden for a bit. It was very beautiful, and much better than central park.
At the Jardin du Luxembourg, and you can see the Pantheon from there
At least there are more design to it, and much more pleasing to the eyes. I really don't find Central Park all that special. I also walked by the "Senate" building. It looked grand. When I was standing there admiring the building and the garden and the calamity which followed, I thought to myself, it must be really fun to live in a castle. I wish I have a castle in my possession.
After V's nap which definitely lightened him up, I kept whining about I wanted to go shopping. He brought me to this mall, which I briefly visited the day before randomly. I made him wait for me to shop, but of course I felt really bad meanwhile. When he said he would rather wait for me at his apt, I suggested I would cut the shopping short, and went on to other tourist spots.
St Eustache
We walked around for a bit, passed by St Eustache's Cathedral, and decided to rest in front of it. I looked around the leveled, huge grassy steps, I thought to myself, no wonder people fall in love in Paris, it is such a beautiful and relaxed city. No wonder. It was beautiful, and it wasn't one of the most beautiful things in Paris already. Well, I suppose I found it beautiful because it was much less crowded.
V insisted that I should at least see the exteriors of the Modern Art Museum. While I was not too keen on seeing modern art in Paris, I agreed to walk by it. It is a museum with pipes and steel rods OUTSIDE the museum. Pretty interesting design I must say.
We then went to the Sacred Heart (Sacre Coeur). I believe it is just another cathedral, and the only special thing was the movie "Amelie" was filmed there, which, I suppose, made the place even more special and tourist-attractive.
Modern Art Museum
The Sacre Coeur was located on top of a hill, and I was in no physique and mood to enjoy yet another long walk up to a cathedral. I snapped two long-shot photos, and told Vincent we should find a place to eat. We went to this fondue restaurant, and I ordered snails. The snails arrive on my table and they looked green. I don't know why but I had always thought French snails look brown. I thought I had snails before in Hong Kong, and I thought what I had was brown. Apparently, as Vincent impatiently answered me, all French snails look green. They tasted good, though, just like seafood. The fondue came as well, and 1) it was soooo cheeeeesy! Yumm 2) after a while, it gets really salty. I suppose one cannot have THAT much cheese fondue. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the dinner.
The fondue restaurant
We did not order wine that dinner, for we were both tired and thought any more alcoholic intake would only knock us out. The dinner was pleasant, excpet a rare instance where some German-wannabe-speakers knocked on our table and asked us about the snails. It was quite intrusive and they don't even speak german that well. Of course I wouldn't know a word and so Vincent had to answer them. Oh, and also, it was a very nice day to sit outside. Now I know why all these Europeans love sitting outside to eat - the air is good, weather is lovely, and streets aren't so crowded and the cars don't emit poisonous gas.
We were both very tired that evening. On our way home from the RER station, as we were strolling back and enjoying the weather and trying not to annoy each other any further, we saw this guy walking behind us. I instantly thought of being mugged again. After all, the guy behind us walked like a bad guy, as Vincent phrased. I got us to cross the street and observe him from across the street, and we realized, haha, this was merely how he walks, like a bad guy. hahaha. Anyways, we had spent yet another eventless day.
Before I headed to bed that night, Vincent, I and Hana spoke on skype and Hana gave me some very good suggestions and advice on whether I should buy a brand-name purse in Paris. Because of the coversation, I have decided that I would not pursue an LV or Chanel or any of that class, but will settle on a French purse, an affordable French purse (which I bought the next day). She also gave me a lot of suggestions to go to the next day. I originally planned to just shop for the whole day. Hana made me realize that there was still much left to see and visit. She also introduced me some large department stores which I knew I would not be able to afford, but would still love to visit.
Still on skype, Vincent and I played the Wii fit. I must say I am very tempted to buy one for myself now. It seems like a fun way to exercise. Maybe not a real workout, but at least some stretching or muscle toning exercises would be useful.
I went to bed when Vincent was busy packing to leave for Les Alps, his home, the next morning. I coulnd't really fall asleep, but I managed to sleep for a few hours.
That's how I spent my second day in Paris.
Inside Notre Dame
At the Jardin du Luxembourg, and y…
At the Jardin du Luxembourg, and …
Paris