Anti-travel entry

Washington Travel Blog

I suppose this will be a very anti-traveling entry I or anyone can ever write on travbuddy, but since it is somewhat travel-related (or the lack thereof), I might as well put it in here.
Recently I have heard from many friends' plans to travel, and quite frankly, they are going to some rather exotic and attractive places. I am of course very envious of them; however, I really do not see myself planning one of these anytime soon. Graduating from college means growing responsibility, as it is no longer "socially acceptable" to seek parental help so casually.
Then on my metro home today, I was thinking to myself, I really have no huge desire to travel to anywhere. I mean, if I must travel, I name you a few places I would love love love to visit, but I would not go out of my way to plan and go on one of these trips. I think at this point in my life, I am much more concerned about my future, my potential accomplishments, and how I can make my mark in this world. Of course, the absolutely ideal situation would be to have a traveling job and a traveling career on the rise. Until then, I am afraid I will focus much on my non-traveling career. If I must choose between the two, I would undoubtedly choose "make it in this city" over going all around the world not really doing anything.
I must admit I am very unromantic, succumbing to all the social pressures you can imagine.

Then, I also realized, I don't have to stay in one place 365 days a year to "make it". I am sure a weekend away is not too much to ask for. Maybe, maybe, but it is not something I will be planning constantly. What is in my mind right now would be how I can get to the next step in my career and life.

Just for the record, if I must travel somewhere, I think I would really want to visit the india/nepal/SE asia area, as well as South America. I think it would be very fun to backpack around South America, maybe just through big cities (heard it is rather dangerous outside of big cities?). Oyea, I also really want to visit the Republic of Mongolia, or maybe Tibet as well. Those are some mysteriously exotic places which I didn't get to go when I was in Beijing. I am not sure if I want to go on these adventures by myself, though.

Perhaps another reason I don't want to travel anywhere right now is because I think I am rather tired of the few-day visits to vastly different countries and cultures where there are so much more to offer than in a few days. I want to get to know the locals, I want to speak their language, act like a local, eat at the local eateries, interact with them and the society there is etc. I don't want to go on a tourist trip. I no longer consider that traveling; it is merely stepping on foreign soil, and you can probably do that with some imported soil. By just "visiting", I get to experience nothing of the local culture and civilization and I do not consider that "traveling" and it really does not achieve anything "traveling" can do for you. So, my definition of "traveling" would also involve an extensive period of time, which I simply cannot afford right now.
Aopaq says:
I agree with your view about travelling and preferring an "extensive period of time". However, just how long it takes to achieve all your travel goals ultimately depends on you. I have been an ex-pat in China now for two years but the longer I spend here, the more I realize just how much I don't yet know or understand. And there are other expats I know who only just live in an environment which is more western than Chinese. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that ultimately how much one gets out of travelling depends on you no matter how long you spend
But at any rate, I applaud your ability to prioritize what is important to you right now and I am sure when the time is right you will truly get afflicted by the travel bug! :)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Oh dear..... hope this all works out for you.
Posted on: Jan 22, 2010