Visitors

Colorado Springs Travel Blog

Not Quite the "Wild"

As the chill took hold of the air and the grass began to relinquish its color in November, we had some visitors call on us...

Mule Deer are the western cousins of the White-Tailed Deer found in my home state of Michigan.  The Mule Deer is so named for their large mule-like ears and in my opinion to give it a 'Western Air' since their habitats are primarily west of the Missouri.  Some other key features are the arrangement of the antlers and the color of their tails.  Mule Deer have a forked pattern to their antler shape whereas the White-Tailed Deer have a main branch with tips coming off of that branch.

Our neighborhood is teaming with these guys grazing through yards and crossing streets in their graceful swagger.  They came into our yard with an effortless leap of the fence and munched on our rosebushes.  They were calm as I shot them with the only 'weapon' I care to wield when it comes to shooting and wildlife.  In an effort to make the little thumbnails more appealing, I may have over exposed them a bit, but you get the general idea.  They were such a delightful set of subjects I just had to share!

The trike...well that was next to the house in the grass, and I thought it was photogenic, too.  ;)

Not Quite the Wild