Weekend in Nha Trang

Nha Trang Travel Blog

flooded road
This weekend three of us went to Nha Trang, which is about 2.5h by local bus. The local bus experience can depend greatly on what seat you get. Sit in the front, its fine but in the back or on one of the fold out middle seats, its squished and you really want to have short legs and not much luggage. They give you bottled water and a moist serviette, which is cute. And you get comedy shows or video clips on the tv, which is always a great cultural experience.
I visited Nha Trang twice and never really took to it but this was probably because it was always rainy and grey while I was there and I never did the boat trips that the place is famous for. It was a nice touristy, western break from Tuy Hoa, where we could eat Western food and get massages and facials.
gallery
I really liked the facial I had at one of the proper beauty salons on Huong Vong St (?), especially compared to the Tuy Hoa local version which involved things that leaked into your eyes.
While we were at one restaurant some local kids came in and ran off with the days takings, we felt a bit guilty because we didn't realise they had taken money and just thought they had taken sugar. We heard of drunken tourists being robbed late at night by lady boys on bikes but nothing happened to us, I guess we weren't out that late.
Nha Trang has an interesting pink phallic like monument by the sea, which I thought was a war memorial but when I went up there (you do get a nice view), there were just some nice photos and a strange display on the local birds nests and all the things you could make from them (which was quite surreal at the time because I didn't know that they were birds nests and thought it was some weird modern art).

The best thing in Nha Trang is the studio of photographer Long Thanh.
It took us a while to find as we had the wrong address from the inflight Vietnam Airlines magazine. But it was worth it, he does beautiful black and white photos of Vietnam and its people and he was actually there in the gallery (I think he usually is) and talked to us and showed us his dark room.
We also went to the pagoda with the giant Budhas which were beautiful. I have seen rather alot of pagodas so I don't go out of my way to see them anymore, but its always interesting to see how Vietnams compare to other south east asian ones and the Chinese ones and see how the art and architecture flows from China through South East Asia (well I think it does, I'm trying to remember my history) and what sort of offerings get made. Many Vietnamese shops and houses have little shrines where they put offerings of packaged food (for some reason I always think offerings should be basic food like fruit) but I'm not sure if they are Buddhist, Confucian, Cao Dai or a mixture of all of them.

3 of us squeezed into a cyclo