Da Nang Travel Blog

picnic on the train
I didn't have much time in Da Nang. It didn't strike me as a lovely place, but the other volunteers loved Marble Mountain and Hoi An so I decided that I'd come back at the end of my volunteer time.
For orientation we stayed at a hotel (with the worst synthetic sheets- when travelling in Vietnam take a silk sleeping sheet, or buy one in Hoi An) which I think may rent rooms by the hour, they give you condoms in your room, along with the soap and toothbrush!?! It was near the GVN house, which is near the bus station. I thinks its a new area of town, there are plots of land with no houses with houses seemingly scattered at random places. At orientation we were introduced to the Vietnamese language and the staff of the 3 different placements (Da Nang, Tam Ky and Tuy Hoa). Da Nang and Tam Ky have more orphanages, while Tuy Hoa is more teaching. It got a bit repetitive throughout the day but it was a good chance to meet the other volunteers. One of the volunteers is a physiotherapist and she introduced us to baby massage. We visited one of the orphanages for disabled children and she showed us a permission sequence and how to give the massage.
After 2 nights at the weird hotel we caught an 8 hour train down to Tuy Hoa. We had a picnic on the train and practised our Vietnamese.
Da Nang