Cham temple, Tuy Hoa

Tuy Hoa Travel Blog

Cham tower

I'm very bad at remembering which century events occurred in. My vague recollection of Vietnamese history is that the Viet people came down from the north and displaced the Cham people (and others) who were living there at the time, pushing them away into the coast. But they left some temples scattered around the place. Having visited Ankhor Wat in Cambodia a few years ago, the temples I saw seemed quite small but it was nice to have that connection to other places I'd seen and I think the ruins in My Son (near Hoi An) may be older than Ankor Wat (I may be wrong). One of the (few) sites to see in Tuy Hoa is a Cham tower on a hill (which also has a botanical gardens).

Its not really that spectacular but you go there on a nice day to see how the local people relax (by playing football in front of the tower) and just hanging around looking out over the town. There is a Buddhist (?) shrine as well and a beautiful view of the river that goes though the town and out to the ocean. The college kids say they swim in the river and not the beach. The beach is pretty rough and the water sandy but the parts of the river we saw never looked that inviting. The hill the tower is on also has a building (its a church or a war memorial or a something) that according to the Lonely Planet looks like the Sydney Opera House, although personally I can't see the resemblence. There are also some poor monkeys kept in a cage at the bottom of the hill. They scream at each other and fight for food the locals throw in there.
Its a bit depressing.

We had fun watching local kids climbing up a concrete building and hanging off the side. The local guy who carries around a huge camera case and who we had seen at the beach, was up there following us around. Maybe he is one of the undercovter officers our co-ordinator tells us are always observing us and making sure we aren't doing anything religious or subversive. We aren't allowed to distribute clothes with the Buddhist monk because that may associate GVN with a religious organisation.

Of the other things to do in Tuy Hoa, there is the beach, you pay to sit on a chair and they don't really understand the concept of people reading by themselves so the locals come and talk to you (some beg), but its a good place to talk to people and watch families and young couples. There are many bar/restaurants along the beach (watch out for the rats in the toilets), which serve chilli beef, seafood and beer (bring your own wine and vodkha).

There is another larger mountain which we always meant to go up and never did. It has a pagoda at the bottom with a nice buddha. Its also nice to wander around the fishing village, and see the boats and markets.

Cham tower
fish tails on the footpath near th…
fish tails on the footpath near t…
beach girl