Trip to the Mainland

Guadalajara Travel Blog

Flew to Guadalajara and I was sitting at the airport for 2 and a half hours.  No big deal.  I read the book Jerry wants a report on, "The New Cold War" and listened to Music.  I did a crash course through Guadalajara, went to see the old part of town with the Guadalajara Cathedral and square, original government buildings, some old monasteries, and a few other local churches.  The buildings were all neo-classical and just beautiful.  They were places I never really thought of existing in Mexico.  I always thought of large, sprawling cities of shanty towns and brink walls.  But walking through these streets, full of life and action, street performers and citizens going about their business under the orange glow of the street lights.  I felt more like a busy Italian square than a society on the same political security standing as Pakistan, according to the US State Department.  I never once felt afraid or concerned for my well being.  I was just overwhelmed as the sharp contrast between what I feared and what I found.

Guadalajara