Second day on the job. (unfinished)

Nairobi Travel Blog

So today was our second day on the project and Nan and I got up late.  Well, actually I was awakened by John informing me that Cleo (one of the Fadilhi staff) was waiting for me downstairs.  I was freaking out.  I was trying to think what I had possibly done to offend Rachel, Dr. George, or one of the other volunteers.  I was afraid I was going to have to move living quarters or change programs, neither of which I wanted to do.  So I quickly got dressed and rushed downstairs in a panic and found Cleo sitting on the couch waiting for me.  I shook his hand and said “habari” (Swahili for “how are you”).  He said he was fine and asked me to sit down.  I sat next to him and he began to ask me how my placement was and how was Rachel’s place.  At this point I realized that Cleo and the other staff members had informed us that they would be coming around to check on us to make sure we were being taken care of.  So I quickly relaxed and just chatted about every thing that had taken place the day before.  After we had finished, I made a quick plate of scrambled eggs and toast, drank some chi tea and waited for Nan.  Nan came down about ten minutes later, had her piece of bread, and we made our way to WEMA. (Of note: We watched the news as we ate breakfast and it turns out the Prime Minister was baptized a born-again-Christian yesterday and promises new policies. interesting) We had hoped to make it to WEMA between 9:00 and 9:30.  Well, we left at about 9:40, walked through Kowangeree slum and arrived at WEMA at 10:20.  We were a little embarrassed.  It is amazing how fast we became desensitized to all of the broken glass and loose syringes.  They didn’t seem to bother me at all.  As far as work went, it was rather slow, so we started helping however we could.  I mixed some solutions and cleaned up a little bit with my new sharps bottle I had made.  Later we met a man name Geishan who had been HIV positive for 20 years and was suffering from a scrotal hemorrhage for the last 2 years.  Today I was lucky enough to help dress it.  All I can say is I am a very lucky individual, in more ways than one.  For lunch, Dr. George took us all to Java.  There we showed him our rough draft of the HIV pamphlet we had made.  He seemed rather impressed and gave us a few suggestions.  After lunch, Abby, Nan and I stayed at Java to finish the pamphlet and download images using their WiFi. It took about 4 hours but our pamphlet looked great and we were all thoroughly impressed with what we had produced.    We then went to an internet café to print and hopefully assemble our first pamphlet.  After the café, we came home and hung out with Rachel, Eddie, Lucy and Talia (Rachel’s 4-year-old daughter).  We were just watching TV and Rachel started to complain that Nan and  I had not been asking about Swahili words.  I said fine, let’s start learning some Swahili.  For the next hour and a half, I loaded my iPhone with words and phrases in Swahili such as “mind your own business/hi-ku-hu-szu” and “are you laughing at me/ Uh nah nee che ka mi mi.” Then Eddie drove John, Jenny and I to Sherlock’s to watch the Man U/Arsenal game with Lee, Abby, Canada Mike, VA Mike, and Kenzie.  We had a good time.  Eddie asked me what happened in Vietnam and why did the US get involved.  I explained as much as I could, with monolithic communism, the loss of China and Eastern Europe, and the domino theory, but Eddie still couldn’t really understand.    Then Jenny, from Manchester, came in and gave a wonderful defense of the United States, explaining how the United States is stuck in the position for being “damned if you do, Damned if you don’t.”

Nairobi