olive picking and horse rides!

Northam Travel Blog

adrian (left) shane and pearl, working hard as you can see!

so after an hour and a half olive picking in the lovely australian winter sunshine we break (ha ha) for a barbie lunch.  ade and i decide to do half hour more picking before going to open pub but shane says tina will take me out on the horse.

so we go catch tish and monty, saddle them up and head through the gate into the paddock.  pretty much straight away tish sets off for a good ol' run around, with me gripping tight with my legs trying to control the horse! i manage to guide her back towards tina and monty and she slows down. phew, that was a bit scary but fun all the same! but tish hadnt finished with me so she sets off again but galloping now and heading towards the gate into the orchard.  so as you can imagine i am shi**ing myself, shouting and screaming and trying my hardest to control the horse (incidently, shane and the others over the other side of the house thinks all the yelling is an indication that we are having a bloody fantastic time!) and thinking this isnt going to turn out well.

no time for posing- busy busy busy!
i duck to miss some low branches and the next thing i know im in agony shouting for help (which i dont remember!).

i get driven to the local hospital where they take forever to give me some pain relief and then they call the doctor in (probably playing golf!) as well as the radiographer!  its a small town as you can imagine! troy, the nurse who looked after me was actually in the pub the other night and is married to tinas cousin! (are you keeping up here!). and he cut my favourite (and only!) jumper! after being made to lay on my elbow (left one, of course, im left handed!) for the xrays of my back and hearing (and feeling) my bones doing something not quite right, the doc tells me its not good. i actually had to get the nurse to explain it in laymans terms! basically i had broken 2 bones right by the elbow and would need it pinning back together, as well as breaking a tiny bit in my lower back! great! and worse still i had to go in the ambulance to perth, an hour and a half away!

i spent ages in the emergency department not really knowing what was going on, was scary.

yes, i feel as bad as i look!
luckily tinas sister worked in another department in the hospital and came to see how i was and bring me a facecloth and toothbrush! you should have seen the state of my face, not to mention my clothes!

i was told my op would be in the morning so got to eat a sandwich and have a drink. my mouth had felt like ghandi's flip flop (as lisa would say!) since my accident, so much so that i found it very hard talking to mum and dad when they rang! one bit of luck i did have (apart from the morphine!) was i got my own room!

adrian (left) shane and pearl, wor…
adrian (left) shane and pearl, wo…
yes, i feel as bad as i look!
i managed a smile though!
i managed a smile though!
Northam