Booming Brisbane at xmas time!

Brisbane Travel Blog

Gilley and me!

So, I arrived in Brisbane still drunk from the night before. Gill walks towards me as I come out of the doors. I can spot her a mile away as she walks differently to everyone else due to her "flat feet".

"G'day mate" I say in my drunken attempted Ozzy accent.

It was so good to see her. We got to her house, where it took me a few hours to actually decide to get up from the cfouch and go into the shower (still keeping in mind, i was still in the clothes from the night before and travelled on an international flight...i was still refusing to wash). I eventually showered and amazingly i felt 100 times better! We went to an indian restaurant for dinner, just up the road from Gill and thats where the weight began to pile on.

....!

Since I have been here, as its now 13th January 2008...Gill and I have ate constantly and never felt full....our tummies have expanded to the extent a programme on the tv the other day said we were obese...yes OBESE......with the size of our waists.......So every week, without a doubt, we went to the supermarket and bought all healthy groceries in the mind of starting to eat less and more healthily. We wight ourselves monday morning. A week passes and we get the scales out again. You have put on a Kg. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?!@#! So again, monday morning arrives and we protest to each other that we will definately eat healthily, until night time approaches and a film is about to come on tv and we rush to the shops to get a big load of munchies to chomp on to watch the film! It's just a disaster and im thinking I might have to go to fat rehab or something! It's an addiction isnt it?

Anyway, enough about diets and fatness, as im pretty sure thats everyones topic of conversation after xmas and new year.

luke me and katie

Ive had a lovely time since I have been with Gill, she has introduced me to all her friends and they are really lovely. We had a secret santa together, but i wont go into that, lets just put it this way....you had to get something either "sexy, edible or practial...all three was a bonus!" Gill and I went to a sex shop to get ours so i'll let you all use your imagination to what we got for the others to open. So we ware all sat at the table opening out gifts (and it was pretty obvious who had bought what). Gill opens hers and she gets a mug...i open mines and i also get a mug.....oh no i cant bear to look while i watch the others open theirs! I was a little red to say the least.

We have had a few nights out since I have been here, been to the beach and done alot of chilling out and watching films!

Katie, luke and Hazel (people I know from Dundee) came to Gills and we put on a BBQ, where Gill stressed out, but she's ok now!

I then went to stay with Hazel for a weekend.

When i went to see the Roars!
We went to see the Roars playing football, it was good, i hadnt been to a football match in years! I also went to Jazzercise, as Hazel is an instructor, it's great to say that ive done jazzercise in Australia. Hazel got me on the stage for "rock your bady" as she knew it was my fave!

Xmas was lovely. We woke up (i had already opened my presents people had sent me the night before) and we got ready to go to gills daughters boyfriends auntys house. It's such a wonderful house, indoor swimmingpool and just really lovely. There was about 30 people there and everyone was so welcoming and warm! The only rule in the house was to "help yourself".  Everyone had brought different things. Gill and I brought a turkey and a fruit platter. There was just so much food! I couldn't even eat dessert i was too stuffed!  When everyone finished their meal, there was gifts under the tree that people had brought for people they would only see on xmas day.

me at the beach
I kind of felt sad that i had nothing to open. Then all of a sudden someone hands me a gift. "To Tina, From the Steven's family"  I was so overwhelmed, I could feel my bottom lip start to tremble. hold it back tina, dont embarress yourself and start crying, I said to myself.  I had only been introduced to them on xmas day and they were gills, daughters, boyfriends' mum and dad! I didnt care what was inside, i just thought, what a lovely gesture! It was a nice box of lintt chocs if anyone is curious! To add to that, I then get handed another gift "To tina, from Katrina and Will" (gills daughter and boyfriend). That just threw me over the edge, i burst out crying. I can hear someone in the background saying "is she ok?" Katrina had got me a beach towel and make up - i loved it! I think i got just as many gifts as gill did from her family!

New year was another night out, and im never overly fussed about new year.

the as table set for 30 people!
The pub we were in didnt even do a good count down so it didnt really feel like new year. And considering it was warm outside and there was no slush lying on the ground, that made it even less like new year for me! But like i said, im not overly fussed about new year!!! It was a good night out though!

Since Gill is back at work and I booked my flights for two months and cant change them....I decided to get a volunteering job. I started yesterday. Its in a community centre working with elderly and disabled. In the morning, there was about 20 oldies sat chatting and having morning tea. Then in the afternoon we go shopping with them. I was paired with this little woman (her daughter works at the community centre), she was in her 80's and deaf, so she had to lip read.

the stevens family!
She was so funny, she reminded me of my gran back home with the things she would come out with. I left that day feeling really glad I had started (even though i would only be there a few weeks). She gave me a hug when i left, it was just so sweet!

This weekend, I am ging up to toowoomba to see katie and luke. Cant wait to see her again!

The next time I write in my blog, i imagine it will be when i get back to New Zealand and start the Kiwi experience. Im really excited and anxious about it!

the stevens family!
me and gill ready to being in the …
me and gill ready to being in the…
the indoor swimming pool