Shoveling Snow and Sledding in So.Cal

Big Bear Lake Travel Blog

Bald Eagle at Moonridge Animal Park and Wildlife Center

Who would have thought I'd be shoveling about three feet of snow off our steps and deck in Southern California!?!  Actually, it's not so strange, Big Bear lake is about 7000 feet above sea level and this has been a great year for snow and great skiing as we could see yesterday at Snow Summit.

I think that this is one of the best years for snow that they have had for a long time! We decide to take advantage and head for the slopes! That was yesterday, but one day was enough for me!  I haven't been skiing for a few years and doing physical activity at this elevation shows me just how out of shape I am!!  There's a goal for 2009!

After shovelling snow we took my niece sledding...  She loved it! On the slope just above our place there's a great stretch for a toboggan run, so we cut a little trail for her, and we all took turns riding down the hill with her.

We need a snow blower!
  Fantastic! I haven't done this for years!  While we were doing that, my older niece was going to ski school which she really loved too.  After sledding and shovelling we all sat in the hot tub for a while on the deck.  It's fantastic to be in the hot water, surrounded by ice and snow with a great view of the mountains!!

Later that afternoon we visited the Moon Ridge Animal Park and Wildlife Center.  It's a small zoo where a safe haven is provided for wild animals that have been rescued from various situations and for one reason or another can't be released back into the wilderness.  We saw mule deer, bald eagles, golden eagles, wolves, foxes, owls...  among many other animals who are fortunate to have this place that cares for them and provides them with a safe home.

We coincided with a guided tour where some explanations were given about the various animals and why they are there. It was interesting.  Also a great place to bring kids.

It had been many years since I'd been up to Big Bear.  I remember going on ski trips when I was a little kid and some summer camp and backpacking experiences in the same area.  It's nice to be back! What I didn't remember was the terrible traffic you encounter when conditions are good and the weekend or holiday is nearly over! While getting up the mountain was no problem at all, getting back down the hill took about three times longer than it should have.

sylviandavid says:
It all sounds so fun!
Posted on: Jan 02, 2009
Bald Eagle at Moonridge Animal Par…
Bald Eagle at Moonridge Animal Pa…
Big Bear Lake Sights & Attractions review
Alpine Zoo - Safe Haven for Animals
In the afternoon we decided to head for the Moonridge Animal Park to see the animals. It turned out to be a nice way to spend a couple hours. This … read entire review
Big Bear Lake